Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking Ideas
Stella
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 974
Votes: 16
female usa
Hi - I am stocking a newly cycled 55 gallon tank and I'm not sure what and how many fish that I want. I have right now 5 platties. What else can I put in the tank?? Any help would be great!!
Thanks in advance,
Stella
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2008 04:41Profile ICQ MSN PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hey there are alot of options... you should research fish you think look nice.. some options could be:
Rainbowfish (most species)
Rams or Apisto Cichlids
Guppies/Endlers
Gold Barbs
Paradise fish
Betta
Dwarf GOurami
Moonlight GOurami
Kissing Gourami
Corydoaras Cat Fish
Khuli (COolie) Loaches
Flying FOxes
Tiger Barbs
Ghost Shrimp
Cherry Shrimp
Various snail species
possibly a crab or crayfish
some dwarf or smaller catfish or pleco species

the possibilities are nearly endless

You might consider stocking it with live plants if you havent already, aothough it requires special lighting, fertilizing, substrate, and Carbon Dioxide for certain species of plants...

also would you mind telling us about the tank right now...
+filtration
+lighting
+substrate
+decorations
+cycling
+tank parameters
+etc...

Also research those species of fish... most of them are very hardy and will withstand most of what a beginner can throw at them...(if your a beginner, if not i appologize...)

just take it slowly and do things right and with time to allow certain aspects to settle. plan out an aquascape and your stock to try to create an enviroment that will work well for the fish, not just for you...

sometimes impulse buys work, but I would like to say for the most part they are a giant "NO NO "

Refer to here if you have ANY questoins and usually within 12 hours to a day someone will have responded with accurate help.

if yo tell us what you envision we can help you try to make that vision into a reality!

MOST OF ALL: have fun doing it! creating a new tank can be envigoration, frustrating, and very rewarding (not to mention pocket book draining! )

I cant wait to see how you creat this tank and make a beautiful and unique tank out of it!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2008 05:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
You should go for live plants, works really well with the platies. A large school of tetras would go well with the platies, and maybe a couple gouramis as center piece fish or a pair of angels.
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2008 08:46Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies