L# Weight
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWeight
Ramona
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female usa
I need help figuring out if my floor above my basement will bear the weight of my new aquarium. According to the measurements I took from the tank it's 90 gallon capacity. It sits on an oak stand that contacts the floor all the way around. It's 4 1/2 ft long x 18 inches wide x 2 ft deep. It has approx 3 inches of gravel. And an oak top. I'm estimating approx 1100 lbs. Should I add support underneath? I appreciate any info and ideas! 🙂
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2017 18:48Profile PM Edit Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
You might want to check with a structural engineer to be sure. Is it on an outer wall or otherwise load-bearing wall? That weight might be fine on either, but again you should probably ask a professional if you aren't sure.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2017 14:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ramona
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female usa
I have the option of either wall. I could put it on an exterior wall or interior butted up against the stairway wall above the basement.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2017 21:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
Stairwells are usually stronger because stairs are both heavy and extra large. I'd go for the stair wall if it were me and the tank fits

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2017 14:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies