AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L#  MTS!!! 7G Minibow on the way! Stocking Q's!
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe MTS!!! 7G Minibow on the way! Stocking Q's!
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
EditedEdited by edwardorino
So, I am now getting a 7G Mini Bow from Petco via Amazon.com. I'd like to heavy plant it with low maintenance plants. I plan on dosing with Excel, and maybe doing a DIY CO2, but that's doubtful.

Help me plant it and stock it! (I'd especially like suggestions for a low maintenance carpet plant.)

If anyone has a Mini Bow 7 and has pictures, I'd appreciate it.

Btw, I got a great deal on the Mini Bow. It was 55.97 on Amazon. I got free shipping because of a online coupon on this website. Plus, if you apply for an Amazon Visa, you get an additional $30 off your order! Not to mention 6 months of 0% financing! $25.97 for the 7G AGA Mini Bow ain't bad! Here's the website!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000634EX0/sr=1-7/qid=1154802803/102-6309493-1698504
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2006 20:31Profile PM Edit Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Seven gallons is not a lot of space, but you do have some options. For plants look at this website http://www.plantgeek.net and look for low light/easy care varietys that do not get too large.
For fish, it depends on what you want, but it is going to have to be a small species.
One possibility would be one male and two cherry barbs.
You could go with one male or one female betta. Since most fish are schooling, and need to be kept in groups of six or more, there are not a lot of options for a seven gallon. You also, need to let the tank cycle for a couple of weeks before adding anything - using something like "Cycle" to get it started.
Perhaps others will have more ideas for you.
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 03:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stuff_gnome
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
Votes: 0
male usa
Personal favorite small tank set up:

slightly brackish tank bumble bee gobies(or any other small gobies), bamboo shrimp and nerite snails. Anubias, java moss, java fern and/or wisteria for plants. Then play around with a small arrangement of rocks to provide caves and your done.
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 17:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
For plants, don't use anything larger than anubias nana. Anubias nana is good, anubias nana petite is great. Look for narrow leaf java fern. If you're going to plant a small tank the trick is to not make it look like a small tank, you want to make it look larger than it really is. Plants like those mentioned above have small or narrow leaves, which can create the illusion of size. NL java fern is a great option because you can easily create a dense background layer of plants by tying a few bunches of it onto driftwood at different heights. Anubias can also be tied onto rock and driftwood and is best used in the middle ground (try to shade it a little, it's e to algae growth) Depending on conditions, certain kinds of crypts can stay small as well, though they'll require a bit more light and ferts. I think crypt willisi stays small enough.

In terms of stocking, don't go crazy. Start with 5 Amano shrimp for algae control and work from there. Micro rasboras of the boraras genus are becoming more readily available, look for b. merah or b. maculatus. They don't swim a ton and stay tiny (which, just like the small leaved plants, helps create the impresion of a larger tank. You could eaily have a school of 10-12 in a 7G minibow as long as it's planted well enough They tend to be shy fish and really appreciate densely planted environments.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2006 17:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies