Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribebiologically established
amazondon
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 15
male usa us-pennsylvania
How long would you say it takes for a new tank to become biologically established? I didn't have anything to seed my new tank with beneficial bacteria.
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2010 21:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
It depends.

Temperature, bioload, any emergency water changes done, will effect the time.
Using live fish will cause a difference in cycle length from doing it fishless. Even the different methods of doing a fishless cycle will vary in the time it takes.

Best way to know if your tank is cycled is to do water tests daily to track the ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte curves.

Here is a link to the FAQ on cycling. You'll notice on the graph that it gives days, but also mentions that each tank will vary.

HTH

^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2010 01:44Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
amazondon
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 15
male usa us-pennsylvania
Thank you. That was very helpful. This site has been an essential resource for my fish keeping hobby. The profiles are a great tool for choosing new fish and getting info on the fish i already have. Keep up the GREAT work!
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2010 20:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies