Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSingapore Wood Shrimp
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 222
Votes: 24
male usa
These are now popping up in about all of my LFS, and they look unique and interesting, I think they would be a nice addition to my tank. From what I know, they're filter feeders, so I'd make sure there's finely crushed food in there. I might just use some food I use for fry and such. I don't think there's anything in my tank bigger than the shrimp, and I don't think anything would eat it...it's a 30 gallon tank and has female bettas, harlequin rasboras, platies (to be moved), guppies (to be moved) a keyhole cichlid and s.a. bumblebee catfish. Only future plans on what to add are some corys and thats it. Would this work out in your opinion?
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2006 20:45Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
The betta and cichlid might pick on the shrimp but probably not. Mine have shoved full grown blue gouramis away from them. Did you read this post just down the page: http://fishprofiles.com/files/threads/27810.1.htm?1#

I feed the 3 in my 90g at least once a week and for the first 2 weeks I fed them daily. The stores don't really know how to take care of these guys and the place I was getting them was keeping them in with cichlids thinking they'd eat small fish as well as feeding them far too large of foods. The poor shrimp were getting beat up and starving to death. If the store isn't at least feeding crushed up flakes or foods like shrimp pellets that break down into small particles then make sure to feed these guys really heavy for the first week or so.
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 03:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 222
Votes: 24
male usa
My bettas and keyhole are probably the nicest fish in the whole tank. Funny how bettas are known as fighting fish, and the guy at the LFS said the keyhole would get too big and kill all my fish *cough*. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have anything that had a strange appetite for oversized shrimp. I've seen them actually eating at the LFS, it was quite neat, it was the whole reason I decided I wanted one.

Also, do they produce a lot of waste, or is it neglectable as with most inverts?
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 04:57Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Waste usually isn't an issue with inverts unless you have lots of them or are feeding heavily. It can be a problem if you are feeding lots of filter foods to a wood shrimp in a small tank or several wood shrimp because it's difficult to keep enough suspended particles in the water to feed them without sacrificing water quality. One shrimp in a 20g or larger or 2 shrimp in a 30g or larger is probably not going to cause any problems.

The reason I say the betta and keyhole might harass the shrimp is because they are both known shrimp eaters. Inverts are a natural food source for them and many labyrinth fish(bettas, gouramis, paradise fish) can't resist having shrimp for lunch. Generally you would not want to risk keeping any shrimp with labyrinth fish or most cichlids but the size of a wood shrimp is usually enough to deter these guys.
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 06:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies