AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Labyrinth Lounge
  L# Banded/Giant Gourami pictures (C. fasciata)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBanded/Giant Gourami pictures (C. fasciata)
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
Votes: 0
usa
EditedEdited by big e
Here are a few pics of my now colored up female C. fasciata pair:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1052/1363692186_7c18334104_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1363673094_2b2e7ceca6_m.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1357/1362785075_4b3ceae6b7_m.jpg

I'm still looking for a male to go with the females, but our local PetSmart's last shipment only had two very unwell males. Hopefully they'll get some healthy males in soon, because they're supposed to be much more colorful than the females! I think the females look pretty darn nice themselves!

Eric
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 03:53Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Jeez. They're practically iridescent! Gorgeous fish!

Maybe I'll have to go to my PetSmart and get a pair myself. They look like they warrant a species tank!
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 04:01Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Got a pair myself, theyre very nice fish, and much tougher than the increasingly fragile dwarf gourami. Nice distinct natural colouration with the same tones and hues as a natural dwarf gourami without any of the rather innate naffness of the selectively bred high blue and red ones, and a much more distinct patternation, plus no disadvantages of having dull silver females.. Cant begin to imagine why theyve played second fiddle to dwarf gouramis for so long. Even labiosas are a better fish.

Perhaps its simply that thing, a lot like rainbowfish and some cichlids, that they dont show good colour when stressed, and so they often dont look their best in petshops, but rest assurred , properly cared for they all colour up pretty well, and well, its those who have the knowledge and foresight to take a chance on them that get rewarded. Let the beginners go for the showy dg's eh

No worries about a species tank needed joe, they actually do pretty well in general community, they are neither particularly aggressive to other fish, or especially e to victimisation, in fact I have a feeling including them in a community of small fish tends to make them a little less reclusive, though obviously if you want to breed them it will have to be a species tank. They make the most rubbish nests ive ever seen. lol.

My male had to be practically bullied into making a nest by a very gravid female, all he did was stick a few bubbles to a floating leaf, and went away, she dived up, he caught up, a quick half wrap and she threw some eggs at it, and that was it! Rubbish! No wonder the eggs get eaten. Amazing the species survives at all really.lol. Makes any other gourami nestbuilder look like a weaver bird with a degree in architecture.

Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 04:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
No worries about a species tank needed joe, they actually do pretty well in general community

Nah, I wasn't going to do it because they needed it, but because when I find a fish I really like, I tend to go all out to try to make it comfortable.

I figure a pair of those in a 20 L, lots of plants and driftwood, nice tanin-stained water...

Excuse me, I need to get a paper towel. I'm drooling on my keyboard.
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 04:35Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
usa
My two are in with 5 cherry barbs and a clown pleco.

There is definitely a dominant female, but the aggression is mild and they spend more time hanging around each other than chasing each other.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 05:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Well, what pretty fish! I don't remember seeing them before. I can't find them in our profiles. I found a giant gourami, but it looked much different than yours. How big do they get?
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2007 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
usa
Males get to about 4", females 3ish". This fish, although not labelled properly on the site (it should be C. labiosa), is very similar:

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/548.htm
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2007 02:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies