Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBetta acting strange
bigmart007
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 432
Votes: 1
male usa
I just recently set up a 5 gallon betta tank. I had it running for about two weeks with a male betta in it. Everything was going great, he was eating, swimming about, curious, and happy. However, as soon as I added 5 pygmy corys he has completely done a 180. He hides ALL the time and rarely comes out. He just sits on top of the heater or in back of a plant. The corys are doing fine, active and eating. But my betta is acting sort of depressed. nNyone have any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2011 18:01Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
What are your water parameters?
Since you added 5 fish at once you put a huge burden on the biofilter. A minicycle could be causing him to act differently.
I wouldn't expect a betta to be bothered by corys, but bettas can be weird at times. Sometimes they're fine with tankmates sometimes there not.

Did you increase water flow at all after adding the corys? Most bettas don't like much water movement. I say most, though I've had one that simply loved playing in the bubble wand . You might try adding a few more plants, usually they like a little bit of a hiding spot but being surface dwellers hardscaping doesn't do them much good.

Has the temperature stayed steady?
I had a heater go down on a tank and hadn't realized and till I noticed the betta acting rather sluggish sleeping on top of a plant. He stayed like that even after the heater was replaced, but he would perk up at feeding time.

Those are the only things I can think of, short of moving the corys carefully to another tank for a while to see if that's what is causing his stress.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2011 22:10Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies