L# Betta breeding
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBetta breeding
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
yeah, im sure. the girl is in the H. lamp.... it was either the male or the bubbles poped. oh, and it has already been around 5 days and he hasent started another one yet....

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2007 15:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Is he warm ehnough, and do you have a very good lid on that keeps the air near the water surface warm and humid?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2007 17:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
How much circulation do you have? You want as little as possible. Also are you using half a styrofoam cup (or something similar) for the male to build his nest in? If it's just out in the water it's not likely to be able to last with the small amount of current from the filter.
Post InfoPosted 09-Sep-2007 20:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i have a heater in there and a bubble stone but no filter. i replace water a lot and i remove any uneaten food.i have a styrephome cup attached to the side

Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 00:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
If you don't have a filter, I would either take out the bubble stone or turn it way way down because the majority of oxygen for the fish is coming from the air anyway. I've never tried breeding bettas but I think it will be hard to remove and replace any water with a bubble nest and fry in there. That's why they say to use a seasoned sponge filter. Without filtration or continual water changes you will have ammonia building up and it's not very likely fry will survive. You would be better off to get a sponge filter and hook it up to an existing tank for a couple of weeks to get some good bacteria in there before spawning.
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 19:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
^^ what she said, and quit opening the lid

What you are doing is more for conditioning than for breeding. The water actually needs to be a little bit old for the nest to stay together nicely, so just feed sparingly once a day and leave them to it. You will need a sponge filter though.

Every time you open the lid, you let the warm moist air escape. This makes the bubbles brittle and they pop more easily. You need to keep the air 'wet' to keep the bubbles wet. Once they dry out, they start popping and they don't stay together well.

If it isn't absolutely vital, leave the lid on. Feed through the corner cut out, or just crack the lid slightly.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 19:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i only use the bubble stone for a few minutes a day near nightime if he has no bubbles in his nest

Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2007 20:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I put a cover on it and now its a lot warmer, but still no bubble nest.... how can i make him do it?

Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2007 15:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Sounds like he's just not in the mood

Make sure water quality is perfect....you really need a seasoned sponge filter in there. Even if ammonia doesn't register on your test kit, there is always some amount building up in an uncycled tank with no plants, and any amount can make fish sick and/or stop them from wanting to spawn.
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2007 15:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies