Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrazy male and his nests
Ferox
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 187
Votes: 28
female australia
I thought I'd try breeding my black and red plakat male, or rather I thought I'd let him see a girl and see what he would do and if he was old enough. He build a lovely bubblenest, and I decided to let the girl out because she seemed interested and he'd done such a good job.

There's a little chase, and I come back ten minutes later to find her patiently waiting for him under the bubblenest....... while he is going and building another nest in the opposite corner of the tank.

He seems to have step one figured out, but can't seem to decide what to do once she's ready to go along with it.

Anyone else had a betta that's more interested in building nests than getting on with the job at hand?

<Vet in Training>
Blog under development: http://www.nearlydrferox.blogging4life.com/
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 11:30Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
my male did this when i tried breeding them, but instead of going to build another he just kept o builing the nest, the female was waiting, then he would sometimes hase her away, i thought they had compleed the act while i was turned away, but no, he wasnt ready to do "it" yeat. i think it is just a reaction to young males and their first spawns.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
How big is the tank, Ferox?.

You don't need a big tank to breed Bettas & keep an eye on the female & if you see any fights, just put it in a safe place again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 22:18Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
he'll sort himself out. The stress of the mating dance tends to get the better of them sometimes and they just get so wrapped up in the wooing that they forget about the actual doing! One track minds

He'll probably move the nest a few times if he is that way inclined, even after it has eggs in it It can take them a while to find a spot they are comfortable with, especially if you are using live plants as nesting material.

If he keeps ignoring her, just let them be for as long as they are playing nice (don't let the temp drop, that makes them snippy) and hopefully the next storm system will trigger them off. If nothing else they'll develop a bit of a working relationship for attempt #2.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 17:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies