SubscribeFemale Bettas
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
My 20 gallon currently has a female Molly (will be moved), a BN, 3 ADF, 6 Ghost Shrimp, and a Male VT Betta. I'm gonna move the male Betta to his own 2.5 gallon and wanted to put in some female Bettas instead. I was wondering how many I should put in. I was thinking that 4-5 would be good but wasn't sure. Also, what else could I put in with them? I was thinking maybe a small school of Harlequins or Danios since they are quick and wouldn't be bothered too much by the Bettas. Any ideas would be good though. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 09:13Profile PM Edit Report 
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
EditedEdited by coltsfan
Truestar,
I would say the more females the better, this way they can work out there own pecking order: if you say 4-5 then I would say 5. The important thing is to make sure there are enough hiding spots and places they can get out of view of each other (especially important when group is working out pecking order). As far as tankmates, that is totally up to your females. I currently have two females that wouldn't tolerate any other tankmates and they were the last addition to the tank, so on that note if you currently have other fish in the tank and the bettas are the last additions make sure you have a backup plan! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 09:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I'd avoid the danios, they are small but they are little territorial monsters Harlies, lambchops, white clouds (depending on the temp) platies or even neons should work OK.

If you really want danios you probably can do it with minimal nips as the girls will box them into line fairly quickly, they just wouldn't be my first choice.

They really aren't fussy about numbers providing the territory works out OK. If they all have enough space (and the amount required varies from fish to fish) they'll be happy. I would avoid 2 though, because then one will be the bully and one will keep being beat up. Spread that aggression around

Make sure you aren't buying a bunch of plakat males when you get your girls too, it is very easy to do!

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 18:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
My girls are currently accompanied by glowlight tetras and otos. I'll be adding cories shortly, if all goes according to plan. So far, I've never had an issue with adding bottom-dwellers after my bettas, male or female, have settled in, so I hope that luck holds.

As for other tetras, in the past I've had cardinals that were fine. Black skirts not so much. Rasboras, like the harlies and lambchops that Callatya's suggested were good. In fact, I had hoped for harlequins this time, but couldn't find them when I wanted them, so went with my second choice instead.

And, yep, two's a bad plan with the girls. I'd say 3 minimum, and 4's better, especially if you have any reason to remove one of the girls for even a small amount of time.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 21:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies