Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSpirulina
coltsfan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 75
Votes: 6
male usa
I know they say that spirulina is a must in most freshwater fishes diets, but what about bettas? Do bettas benefit a great deal from having spirulina in there diet? Would it be ok for me to regularly give my bettas a spirulina pellet? I know that HBH Super Soft has a pellet, does anyone else know of a good spirulina based pellet to feed? Just curious!

Justin

Colts Fan For Life
30g platy tank: 2 sunburst wag platys, 2 redtailed white calico platys, 2 red wag platys, 1 fry(not sure who it belongs to), 1 Golden CAE.
Bettas:1 VT male
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 04:02Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Bettas eat primarily invertebrates. Spirulina is unnecessary, but probably wouldn't hurt in small amounts. On the other hand, many foods that contain spirulina also contain a lot of protein anyway, ironically making them inappropriate for herbivorous fish that you would want to feed a spirulina-based food.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I feed Tropical Spirulina to all my fish without any problems. I also have a Betta & i feed him Spirulina granules daily.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 22:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
My male is a spirulina hog. Yes, he actually tries to steal it from my otos! It's really quite amusing, but I doubt that he actually needs it.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 22:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
As Shiggy said, many foods have a fish meal base, including so called 'algae wafers' so check your ingredients.

I tend to like feeding aquatic plant matter to bettas as many of the meaty foods we get that come pre-prepared (frozen/FD/pelleted) either have the wrong sort of plant matter or none at all. In the wild, when predators eat smaller animals, they eat the lot INCLUDING gut contents which is important for proper nutritional health. Check your frozen food and see how many of the creatures have full guts, usually it is hardly any. Although feeding the veggies straight is unlikely to provide as much benefit as gut-loaded bugs, I doubt it would cause any harm.

Try wafers. I start mine on them young and they love them! Hikari make a wafter that has a high meat content and a decent amount of algae which might do nicely. They are a fine texture too, which seems to be important.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 09:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
EditedEdited by Brengun
I have two lots of algae wafers,one with just algae and one with fishmeal included. Mostly I use the fishmeal one but every so often I fee all algae. You want to see the dirty looks I get from the gouramis.
PS: Spirulina didn't go down to well with any of my fish. They must be just spoiled.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 11:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
algae wafers (with sprinula and fishmeal) are big with all my pets... the oscar eats then on occasion, i feed them to the 29g for the snails mostly, but the mollies and platies and guppies pick at them. the goldies love to pick at them and the ramshorn snails in there finish them off... mr turtle sometimes likes them... and my cat even chewed throught the bag and ate alot of them... (had to switch them into a bottle because the cat kept rediscovering the bag with all the holes so in turn everything in my tanks eat sprinula and algae wafers... (i feed the alga wafers to the betta tank and he picks at them, but doesnt eat them all)...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2008 08:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies