AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Labyrinth Lounge
  L# Who am I? Need Labyrinth fish ID.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWho am I? Need Labyrinth fish ID.
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I found this little chickadee getting the stuffing beat out of it in the black widow tank. I suspect it has come through with a batch of sparkling gouramies.

I don't immediately recognise it, and neither did the LFS guy or the wholesalers.

It doesn't look like a betta head shape to me (though it could well just be one I haven't seen before), so I'm thinking maybe it is a gourami. I've looked up the few that have been on the fish lists lately but none match.

Does anyone have any ideas?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 05:10Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0233x.jpg

Dreadful photo, poor thing was not impressed with being shooed out and photographed.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 05:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
EditedEdited by sora
Im not sure which kind it is. but it definitly looks like a gourami. I have a book or to that list like 900 aquarium fish species. i'll check there maybe ill see something

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 05:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Ta sora, I'd appreciate it. I'll try and get a clearer picture for you

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 05:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Looks like a Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata), but I'm sure you probably considered that seeing as how you thought it came through with Sparklings.

Go and get a better pic. Go on now. Shoo.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 05:39Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
I did consider it, but I wasn't certain on the markings/colour. Hard to tell the tail type because of the damage and there seems to be a great bite scar on one side above the pectoral fin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0283x.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Callatya/Random%20Fish/IMG_0280.jpg

So a croaking? How do you sex them?

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 07:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I think it almost has to be a Trichopsis gourami. I'm still going with T. vittata as the most likely candidate.

Dimorphism is a bit tricky. Like most gouramis, males will have more pointed fins. I've heard about males having a red edge to their anal fin, but can't confirm that.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 07:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Looks very much like our T. Vittata

Pic 1

Pic 2

I'm not sure whether those two pics are of the same fish or not... that will teach me to label my fish pics better lol.

Other than the fact that we saw ours spawning (spawning thread), I think it was determined that the only way to reliably sex them is to view them with a strong light source from behind so you can see through the body cavity.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 10:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Righio, that I can do

The shape and chin stripings match so I think that is the ID unless we are proven wrong in time. I wonder if it'll colour up...

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2008 10:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
seems i came back to late to be of any help id'ing well glad you got it figured out callatya!

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2008 06:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies