---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Just pondering.

Why do you spawn your bettas?

I'm not all that interested in if you can raise them on, although it would be interesting to know, but why do you let two fish mate?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 06:25Profile PM Edit Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
I do it because I love watching mother nature work her magic.

With dogs and cats,we are overpopulated,and I can't afford a horse.We don't have the right fencing for goats,sheep,or cattle.

That is why I breed.

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 13:28Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i two have really started to ask this question.... 100% when it comes to new breeders.

The thing that i STRESS is that dont breed bettas for the wrong reasons.... AKA. to say that you have... or... to try and make it big in the fish trade...or... when they feel that just because a male is happy and built a nest that they should breed them..

I have recently found that people feel that since the male built a nest, HE MUST BRRED SOON OR DIE... That is just crazy talk for me to be hearing.. But it has become a popular concept.

One of the most important things i find myself stressing to people daily is just because you can go to a petstore and buy a female and a male, doesnt equal brreeding rights.

And theres such a mentality that people who really want to breed bettas, they dont understand that it isnt something you can decide one day and the very next day do it. Instant gratification if you will. They dont get the concept of conditioning and they dont understand that it takes research to breed bettas, not as simple as adding two bettas.

Anyway, enough of my rant..

I personally breed bettas as i care so much about this species that i want to make contributions to their numbers. I dont breed to set records or win awards, but i do it as i love it, With the fishes welbeing the first thing.

I also would like to bring plakats into the betta trade...well more popular.. in the world with HMs, OHMs, CTs...et.... it is a shame that more people dont care for wild colored plakats more. Highly colored plakats and HMPKs are one thing, but traditional red/blue plakats are one of my favorites and i wish to make them more popular.

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2007 23:01Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies