AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Anyone having trouble with swordtail's birthing?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAnyone having trouble with swordtail's birthing?
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

I was given a mexican green male swordtail. I bought him two females. They became pregnant & were due any day. The other day one hung at the top & was dead by morning. I figured she died trying to give birth.

Yesterday I bought another female & put her in the QT tank. This am. she was no where to be found inside or outside the tank, but she left me with a batch of baby swordtail's.

It is not like me to have fish deaths & since they were both pregnant mexican green swordtails, I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with this fish giving birth?

If you aren't sure if you have this fish, they are smaller than regular swordtail's, very common, grey colored with a reddish stripe down their middle & the male has a lime green tail outlined in black.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 05:46Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Moving fish right around the time they are due to give birth can cause issues. You want to get them into the new tank several weeks before so they have time to adjust. The only livebearers I've ever lost I had just moved a few days before they had their fry. Your actually better off picking the skinnier females at the lfs tank. Chances are good they are still pregnant but not as far along.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 17:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Yeah, I have heard that it isn't good to move pregnant females, as it could cause them to deliver early. I didn't even pay attention to her size at the store. I didn't even think about it! I will from now on! I already have a batch of platy fry that way too. Guess I will try again & this time get a skinny female. Thanks for the reminder.

Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bar-B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 18
female canada
I've never lost any new fish for no apparent reason either, until my last new batch of swords. I purchased 1 male Jumbo sword and 2 females. Several hours later there were babies from one of the girls (she was also munching up her own fry) Two days later I found her dead, she showed no signs if illness or strange behaviour. Must have been the stress of the move. I too from now one will look for skinny Females, never occured to me this could happen. By the way I also got a bunch of very pregnant platties at the same time...no problems,,,go figure?

120 GAL. Community Freshwater (2 huge mated angles, 2 German rams, Red tail shark, 2 Pearl Grammies, 3 Bushynose Plecos, Swordtails

110 Gal. (3 Koi Angles, 3 black marble viel tail Angles) 20 Neon tetras, 1 red tail shark, 3 clown loaches, Platys
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2007 03:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies