L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Can they be.....?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCan they be.....?
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I have some guppies, and all of them except the male always have gravid spot, but are never fat and i never see fry..... whats wrong?

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2007 00:07Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Most likely solution something is eating the fry. Any other fish in the tank and how heavily decorated is it? Otherwise I would guess either you don't actually have a male especially if you only mention 1 possible male or your females just aren't old enough yet. How long have you had them?

If you want fry try moving a female to something like a little 5g with a few plants(fake or real doesn't matter) and a sponge filter. Check her daily, remove when you see fry, and raise the fry seperate in that tank. So long as the female has been in with a mature male she will be pregnant and they can have several batches of fry before they need to be in with a male again so if you move one you should eventually see her getting fat and end up with fry. Try to move females at least a week before they give birth and not when you think they are going to have them any day now. The stress can cause them to die during or after birth.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2007 00:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
well, i have an extra 10 gallon but no filter and a fish bowl..... The females never get fat but they have HUGE gravid spots..... i have had some for a year that i bred, and 1 that i bought. the 1 is definatley a male, but i just bought him because the males from the same drop had all died. i had 2 danios in there but i moved them to my 20.

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2007 01:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
It's super easy for babies to get eaten right under your nose, i had my molly delivver late night/ early morning and i only found 1 fry.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2007 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies