Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeEndlers x Platies.... cross breeding? O.o
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
Is it possible for these 2 to crossbreed? I realy don't wnat them 2 >_<; But i want both in the same tank :3. Thanks home slices.
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 18:22Profile PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
no, platies are Xiphophorus, where guppies are poecilia.

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 18:33Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
male usa
Will they even try?
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 19:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
A randy male guppy or platy might well try, but it wont come to anything, the species are far too different to hybridise. Gonapodia ond orifices wont fit etc. Why would you want a hybrid anyway?
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 21:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
male usa
i DONT want a hybrid, i hust want both in the same tank.
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 23:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kantankerousmind
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 9
male usa
If your concern is whether they will even be attracted to each other the answer will almost definately be no. endler's females are notorious for only really wanting to accept other endler male even though they are compatible with all the other fancy guppies. secondly endler females are too small and most male aren't attracted to small females, they like em big.
third endler male also like endler female and they are offen less colorful than their male counter parts. It is not so with platy's .. Im sure that the platies you get, whether male or female, will be very brightly colored (a good thing). platies are very visual when it comes to mating.
the last point, to repeat what LHE, said .. they are too different, so even if by some weird coinsidence they do decide to go at it.. nothing will happen...

so get em if you want but if you asked me i would mixed the to since guppy are very peaceful and platies are a community fish...their might be more tension that is good for the guppy's
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2007 01:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
male usa
Good, cause i want my endler's to be pure and BTW, all of the endlers i have are males.
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2007 18:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
My male guppy always tried to breed with my platys, even when his female was alive. They do like large females! maybe the endlers will be different, but without any female endlers around they might start trying to harass the platys or each other!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2007 21:10Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
kantankerousmind
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 9
male usa
vicious bring up a good point... I would definately think of getting some endler females.. too many boys and your get all sorts of other problems..
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2007 02:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies