SubscribeFry habitat.
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
I am thinking of setting up a little tank to raise platy fry in. I know a store that will buy them from me when they're big enough. My idea was just a little 2.5 gallon rectangular tank but I'm not sure what to do about the rest of the equipment. Obviously I'll need a heater but what about everything else?

Filter: HOB or under gravel? If I get a HOB I'll have to get some old stockings to stick over it so the fry don't get stuck up in there.
Gravel: do I need it?
Plants: do I need them?
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 20:11Profile PM Edit Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
First off, congrats on the fry!!!

You will definately need a heater ecspecially if you want to see fast growth and pretty colors from your fry.

Plants I would suggest but they are not need. Some do produce yummies such as infusoria wich the fry LOVE to feed on.

Your filter plan with the old stockign sounds good you could also try fabric from a fish net.

Good Luck!!!
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 22:51Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
Well no fry yet but I'm suspecting one of my girls. I've got 4 platies and they're all female (only had them a couple weeks). But if this plan sounds like a good one I might throw in a male to get things going.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 22:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
EditedEdited by Platy_Punk
Ahhh I see

Ok well if you got the females from a tank with males they are most likely pregnant. So watch for fry. Also what size is your main tank, not the fry tank? I would also get a male too.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 00:57Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
The main tank is 10 gallons. if i do get a male the only other fish i would ever get for this tank would be a couple of otos if g needed them and maybe one of the fry that i liked
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 04:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Sponge filter. Even covering the intake you'll lose a few to any hob and I've seen fry sucked into undergravel systems. Whether to do a planted tank with substrate or bare bottom is a matter of opinion. Many like to do a mostly empty tank with just a few plastic decorations for hiding so that the waste and excess food can easily be siphoned out. It requires frequent work but is probably the best way to keep ammonia-nitrates down on a fry tank. 2nd way would be to do a thin layer of gravel with fast growing plants and let them clean the ammonia-nitrate out of the water column while you do weekly or twice weekly gravel vacs instead of siphoning it nearly daily. Both are good ways to go about it so it's your personal choice.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 21:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
male usa
Also, another thing about the gravel I have had platy fry get stuck in it and die ..... Just a comment. i dont use it when I have fry tanks.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 22:07Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
Could you recommend a good sponge filter that I could buy? How big should it be for a 2.5-3 gallon tank? OR maybe you know a good way to make one that you could recommend.

Another route I've been looking at is the little 'goldfish' kits that come with everything that are around the size I want. Know of any good ones of those? I'm having a hard time finding one with a filter that I want.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 20:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies