Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGuidelines for breeding and raising livebearers, please
Caviar
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 187
Votes: 73
female usa
I'd like to know what the ideal conditions are for breeding and raising livebearers and their fry. Water params and temp, frequency of water changes, and anything else you can tell me. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 01:08Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
That depends entirely on the species of livebearer, what species were you considering?
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 02:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
EditedEdited by Platy_Punk
Mostly with livebearers all you need is a male and 2 or 3 females and the will do rest. No special technique is used when breeding them. Fry are easy to raise, keep them in a seperate tank or a breeder box, net. Feed them stuff like Hikari First Bites, or anything else that will give them good nutrition. Temp of around 75-78 is good. They are really easy fish to keep and breed. Enjoy!
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 02:15Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Those conditions are okay for many of the more common live bearers Ryan, but as LHG stated it really is specific to the species you want to breed.

For example most of the Mexican Goodeids come from cooler water locations and prefer and will only breed in temperature ranges from 60 to 70 degrees, as well as other requirements.

To get much more specifics on livebearers try checking out the American Liverbearers Association site. Here's the link.

http://www.livebearers.org/index.php

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Caviar
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 187
Votes: 73
female usa
Thank you all for the quick responses. I'm asking for my boss who has balloon mollies. Yesterday we found many fry. I maintain her tanks weekly. Now, with the babies, she's telling me not to do any water changes! I wanted something in writing to print out and give her so she'd know the importance of clean tanks, especially since they are in a 10 gallon. I'm ready to tell her to take care of them herself, but I'd have to watch them all die.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 13:32Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies