Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGuppies?
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
After the death of my male ram a few days ago, my 15 looks kind of empty. It currently has 6 Black Neon Tetras and 2 Ottos. I wanted something colourful, and was thinking about getting platies, but IME platies are too big and active for the tank, so i wanted to try guppies. What i wanted to know was would it be ok to keep all male guppies in the tank? And if so how many? (i was thinking 3 or 4) Or would they nip each others tails?
Thanks!
~BNF~
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 21:04Profile PM Edit Report 
zookeper
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 62
Votes: 6
male usa
Not sure but was always told to keep a minimum of 2 females per male. If all males they become territorial and fight.
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 21:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
You can keep an only male guppy tank. If you do include females you should have at least 2 for every male since the males try to breed constantly and if there are too few females to go around they will be constantly bothered until they die of stress. With only males that problem doesn't exist. Occasionally they do try to breed with something else of similar size but usually it only annoys the other fish for a few minutes and they don't get that stressed out. You can keep any number of males together.
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 22:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
Guppies shouldn't be a problem at all. I kept an all-male guppy tank for quite some time. You may see some ragged tails amongst the males, but there really shouldn't be any problems and usually that settles down after a time. Let them wear off their excess energy and they'll calm down.

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 05:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
Ok, thanks! I'll try all male guppies. I think i can get 4 in there, right? (according to the 2.5cm of fish per 75cm of surface area rule i can get 20cm of fish in there still, which is four guppies)
IME it's a nightmare with m/f livebearers, especially after my experiences with platies
~BNF~
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 20:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
You could get females too...then give them away or sell them.One of mine is pregnet now

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 21:48Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Noone takes guppies. Definitely not for money and sometimes you can't even give them away. The only stores that take them generally use them as food for their larger fish. Unless you have a very uncommon color of guppy you will quickly end up with a huge overstocking problem and lots of headaches if you don't keep the males and females seperate.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 00:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
I was going to go with all males and then i went to the LFS today. They had 1 male i liked, but there was something wrong with his tail so i didn't get him. And then i found a beautiful yellow girl and i bought her. I'm going to get her some friends soon. I think if i ended up with males and females then the fry would all be dead soon. My tetras love to eat fry. All my cory fry were goine within a day when my corys were in there. And if i ended up with too many fry alive they could go in my mums tank. Now i don't know whether to go with all female or male and female (if i did i'd only get one male)
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 15:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
In all likelihood, you've got a pregnant girl right now (unless the LFS keeps the sexes seperately, which is usually out of the norm for stores) and you'll soon have both sexes anyway. No matter what you have in the tank currently, it's more than likely that at least some of the fry will survive. They can be hardy little buggers! Even having a trio of danios in my female guppy tank, I still had survivors and danios are probably a great deal more efficient at "population control" than are tetras.

It's really up to you, though. You can find some Really pretty males out there, and it's always interesting to see what the combination of coloring in the parents will become in the offspring. As has been said, though, you probably won't find anyone who will take them unless you're going to get some fancy breeding pair... then you might be able to sell them, but it's a buyer's market.

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2007 19:10Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
Ok. I'll see if she gives birth. If not i'm buying more females, and i'll get a male if i see one that i can't resist. I wasn't planning on selling fry. Even if there is a few left, my tank can hold a few. So can the other tank. I have friends with really big tanks that always seem to have room for more fish (not fair )
Thanks #BNF#
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2007 21:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Who ever said anything about selling them to stores?
I've got many a fishy friend in town that will take them.I want to go for maybe $.75 each,if more than 10 are bought or they buy other fry,each one is $.50 apiece.

Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 22:13Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
I think if I had a 100 friends willing to take them I wouldn't have given away even half the fry they produced. As is I only got 2 people to take some and for free.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 22:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
You do realize that one female guppy can drop an estimate of 20-100 fry (maybe more) every month, right? Even if you remove the males, they can still drop fry every month for 6-9 months after exposure to a male. You're looking at a LOT of fish. Hope you have a LOT of friends looking for guppies!

I don't think the tetras will do much in the way of population control, either. Just my opinion, though... never tried the tetras with fry. Of course, the black neons in my tank were the only ones bold enough to try to eat an ant that I dropped into the tank... not even the betta girls wanted to take on that thing.

Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 22:42Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Yeah i know about the # of fry.

if I think that to many are being dropped,i have a gourami[who is the MEANEST fish ever] and a few redeyes to take care of things

Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2007 01:58Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
The tetras were pretty effective with my cory fry. (They were all gone within about half an hour and about 200 hatched!)
Anyway, i don't know if i'm going to get a male yet. I'll stick to females if i can.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2007 20:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
guess what?
My guppy dropped babies yesterday.I collected 7 so far.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 00:42Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Barb Boy
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 1
male canada
you should have a minimum of 3 three ottosand i'm not sure but i think that ottos can grow up to almost 3 inches long so you probably shouldn't put in any more fish
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
Ottos are only 2". (And an adorably cute two inches at that! )

Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2007 13:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
EditedEdited by BlackNeonFerret
Yeah, ottos are two inches. Sad thing is, there was a big heat rise in my tank (stayed at 29 for 2 weeks for no apparant reason) anyway, it's gone down again now but one of the ottos died in the heatwave (and vanished) so i moved the larger one downstairs. So now theres a group of three downstairs. So now i have 6 tetras and the guppy. Any ideas? Thanks
Would it be a good idea to keep with three female guppies (no males i've decided) and bump up my tetra shoal?
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 17:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies