AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# How can you encourage a molly to give birth?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow can you encourage a molly to give birth?
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
I have one very small female molly, she is pretty fat and looks to me to be pregnant - she is a black molly so can't really tell much of what id going on in there! but she is "square" if you know what I mean, not swollen..

I have the temp at 80*

she has hornwort to hide in and I turned down the filter flow to make it less choppy near the surface.

I am afraid because she is so small she won't be able to give birth - I have never noticed her fat before?

is there anything else I can do?

GFGxx

Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 00:41Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
It seems like your doing everythign right
Is there any males in the tank? Have you seen her mate?
Is it like she has been getting fatter over a period of weeks or all of a sudden?

Know when it comes to encouraging fish to give birth I say let them do it naturally. You dont want to do anything to stress her out or she may deliver the babies early which would not be good. So all in all I say just leave her alone and let nature take its course.
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 03:27Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
No animal(or human) gives birth on the exact day their gestation is up. I've had horses give birth more than 2months overdue. They give birth when they are ready and majority of the time inducing labor causes premature or dead babies. All you can do is wait and don't stress her out. Make sure the water quality is good, make sure she has places to hide, and wait. Just when you think it isn't going to happen or several days after you think she's going to explode first then you'll have babies.
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 22:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
She died, she was skinny when I found her. can't see any babies. I think maybe they were born dead or got eaten. She was very small poor girl.

thanks

GFG

Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 00:38Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
geminilyretail
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 28
Votes: 7
female usa
same thing happened to me. when i first started out. little black female, got big and died. shortly after that i did a water change and found very, vary small fry, all died. i think she was just to small and too young and couldnt care them to term. some animals just arnt born to breed. sad but true
you just cant help it.
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 07:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
cjzapata
-----
Small Fry
male usa
sorry

10g Freshwater:
1-Albino Corydoras Catfish
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 19:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettina the shark
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
female scotland
Hi everyone!

I felt really sad when i read this thread.....poor wee fishy...

I have a tank with 3 female and one male mollie - i also have a bunch of babies in a breeder-tank - around 20, a mixture of black and dalmation, about a month old.

The adults are giving me cause for concern tho - something is going on and i aint got a clue wot.....may be a swimbladder problem, but they are swimming around with their back ends hanging down....has anyone experienced this before and can possibly advise me? I would be most grateful!!

Thank you, and happy fishkeeping to you all!!

Bettina
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2006 20:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies