AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Learned something about our guppies..
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLearned something about our guppies..
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1951
Votes: 137
Now I know we ALL *atleast us with guppies have/had* have laughed at our male guppies flaunting for the females as hard as they can, and then there are the males that appear confused, dancing for corys, bettas, and basicly anyhting bigger than them that could potentialy eat them! Well, it turns out, they know exactly what they are doing, I guess if they dance for a potential danger, the females find them more desirable, and they are the ones that are more likely to breed, if they survive...

Amagine that, male guppies do have brains lol
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 00:52Profile PM Edit Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Do you have a cite for that?

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
no..

I saw it on the most extreme fashion disasters
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I found one website:

How Females Choose Their Mates
by Lee Alan Dugatkin and Jean-Guy J. Godin

While studying antipredator behavior in the Trinidadian guppy, we recently obtained some evidence that is consistent with the handicap principle. When a predatory fish nears a school of guppies, males, often in pairs, cautiously approach the potential threat to "inspect" it. Such risky behavior has been observed in many species, and behavioral ecologists have suggested that bold males may swim close to a predator to advertise their vigor to nearby females. In fact, laboratory studies have shown that when no females are present, no male guppy plays the hero by approaching the predator more often than his counterpart.

We hypothesized that boldness exhibited during predator inspection might be attractive to females because it should be a reliable indicator of fitness. Less vigorous guppies who tried to "fake" competence in predator inspection would likely be eaten. By using small, custom-built containers that allowed us to position males at different distances from a predator fish, we found that females indeed preferred the most intrepid males. Such courage appears to correlate with color: the males that swim closest to the predator are usually the most colorful. Thus, in the wild, females may have evolved a preference for the flashier males because color is a proxy for boldness and fitness.

This is pretty interesting, I wonder how many other experiments have been done in relation to this.

Brains? I dont know. Instinct? Seems to be the culprit.

I'll do graffiti,
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
Geeze, and I try to give the guppy credit lol
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
Any animal that can give birth to to dozens of young on a monthly basis gets a lot of admiration from mer/:'

I'll do graffiti,
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
very interesting indeed
But one of my male guppies doesnt really look to have a brain or a "correct" instinct either...I have him for the last four months with other female guppies and a few mollies. He's never shown any interest in females of his own type and is always trying to inseminate molies The white baloon molly probably died of the stress caused by that young fellow and after her, he's after the silver mollie, at least ten times in weight than him.....
The female guppies I had with him were juvenniles and still have not bred!
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2006 20:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
lol, whne I first got guppies, it was to feed my oscar, well, their fry would be used, I had them all together in a bucket and they never bred lol..Only when I bought a preggo female did I get fry..but then, i realized they were my first kiddos, and ended up buying the guppies their own tank lol now the oscar has sence been put to sleep *was way too sick and was suffering greatly* and my strain of guppies is going strong ..lets just say, my males throw enough color to make a common female throw a yellow female with blue
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies