AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Platy chasing other platies and swordtail!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlaty chasing other platies and swordtail!
richmp
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
i recently added 2 platies and a swordtail to my 20gal aquarium. i already had two other platies in there and one of them always seemed to hide even though he got along with the other one in the aquarium. but now that i added two more, he's always chasing the new ones i put in the aquarium and my new swordtail! i'm guessing they're all male (even though i asked for females).

is this going to be a problem?
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2006 01:21Profile PM Edit Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
Check out So Very Sneaky's thread to verify gender.

If both your old platies are male and the new ones are male, too, then the aggressor might just be staking a claim on his territory. If the new ones are female, then he might just want to do some breeding. This applies to the swordtail as well, since they can interbreed.

If the new ones are male, give everyone some time to grow accustomed to each other, but if there are injuries, you might have to move some fishes around.
If the new ones are female, check to make sure they are not being overly taxed. If they are, you might need to add another female or two to distribute the chasing.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2006 17:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies