SubscribePregnant Guppies and the frys
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
EditedEdited by stealth114
Hello all.. Do the expecting females need to be kept in a separate tank? One of my tanks is simply a 'guppy home' with 3 females and about 8 males and it got a huge plant in it which will be sufficient for the fry.. I never had fry before but I know these are expecting very soon.. Shall I isolate them? Also where do you keep your breeding box? Is it true the male adult guppies eat the fry? Do you keep it in the main tank? Do you choose any two guppies particularly? Thanks alot.. Any tips on the general keeping of female live bearers and to raising the young fry etc will be most appreciated.. I did read a good thread here on how to feed young live bearers though. I understand that part.

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 00:26Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
the males and females will both eat the fry... you would want to isolate the fry with out either parent arround... a breeder net with some live plants and a stone in the bottom to kepp it down will be sufficient and feed flakes od BBS... the fry will grow fst and with in two months will be able to in with the parents...if you want your population to stay pretty neutral with ittle growth or decay let the fry be some will survive others will die and eventually a parent or two may die and the fry will take their places.

GOOD LUCK!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 00:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Thanks alot... Much appreciated... I take it, guppies dont generally live very long like some other fish species since they got such a high spawning rate?

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 04-Feb-2008 20:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
they usually dont live past a year or so, but many have lived nearly two years...

Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2008 03:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
leo13
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
yes in the ecosystem, the wild guppy is just food for other fishes/birds/mammals.
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2008 06:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
So no doubt in a closed environment, guppies in captivity should live well beyond the lives of their wild counter parts?

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 21:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
in theory they will live longer, but many live short lives due to improper feeding, acclimation, and water conditions...also inbreeding may also cause many problems...

so it depends on the aquarist and tank specs for the longevity of a lifespan of a guppy...

Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2008 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies