L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Pregnant or not?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePregnant or not?
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I have 2 cremecickal lyretail sailfin mollies and 1 may be pregnant. she is fatter than the other 1 and has a sqaureish stomache, but no gravid spot. Anybody know how to tell pregnancy?

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 15:30Profile PM Edit Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
She probably is. If there are any males around, she almost definitely is. The best way I can tell is just by how fat she is and if she's getting fatter. Once she has them, she'll look a lot thinner all of a sudden. Then it's time to start looking around the tank with a good eye for the fry!
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2007 01:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
remember that female livebearers store sperm so chances are that she is pregnant.

If you want to know when she is going to drop or have her fry, that is easy. She will usually be at the top and have her fins close to her body, she will wiggle from time to time as she is contracting. You can see that the vent is forming like a indent and thats when the babies are going to come out.

They reproduce on a usual 28-35 day cycle so you can expect more babies in around a month.
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2007 03:13Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
she is very boxy and round, but has no gravid spot, and we have had her for more than a month and no babies, and she is getting fatter. ill try to get a picture in for u

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by HorseGal
ok, these arent my fish but they are about the same with mine. the fish will only be there untill i get and answer on if they are prego or not. otherwise i will have my real website up there.(horse website) ok, heres the link, tell me is it doesnt work;

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arabian-foal/

i had to edit the link, sorry...

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 00:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 14-Aug-2007 00:31
This post has been deleted
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
Hi Gal! It's hard to tell from the pics because of the red marks, I think. I didn't think the Guppy looked very pregnant, but the Molly.. maybe? Basically from your description though, the Molly is pregnant. If you have a female livebearer that has been with males at some point in the recent past, and she is getting fatter slowly, it's safe to say she's pregnant!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 01:53Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i managed to get 2 of my molly, shes in the breeding net thing. go check out the updated pictures, i even got one of my dwarf gourami!!!

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
I'd guess that if she isn't about to be a mommy, she sure had one big meal! I haven't had Mollies myself though, so I have no idea how close she is to birthing, so i'm not sure if she needs the net yet. I hope someone adds in soon about all of that! Good luck!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 04:14Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
i dont feed them a lot, and i went on a trip for 5 days, came back, and she was still fat. i didnt feed them then sooooo.......

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
well then.. congrats I guess!

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 20:47Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
yay! im just worried cause ive had her over a month and no babies....

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 23:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
female usa
What temperature is the tank at? I guess higher temperature makes them give birth earlier with platys, but the pregnancy period for them can be 4 to 6 weeks. Not sure for mollies though.. I looked up an article that had pictures of pregnant mollies. Check out these pictures!

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5179
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Misc%20Q8.jpg

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2007 00:19Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
its around 81

Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2007 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies