Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSwordtail Concern
SheffieldChris
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male england
i bought a swordtail 2 days ago, and today/yesteday i found that he was going upto objects turning and kind of like "iching" he doesnt go back and forth, he goes forward turns his body and hits the object. i undertand this could be something called whitespot. allthough when i bought the fish it was fine and all the other fish in the tank with it looked healthy aswell. none of my otherfish have whitespot/iching only the swordtail.

the swordtail is also acting normally (like anyother fish) its feeding like normal and its swimming like normal, plus its not trying to hide or anything either, i also reduced the tank temp from 28c to 26c the day i bought the fish too, would this have an affect
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 11:02Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Flicking can be caused by water perameters as well as parasites, it might be worth checking the ammonia , nitrite, and nitrate levels. Any fish moved from a shop tank to a home one might experience a little irritation in the first few days as it acclimates. Its generally not a great idea to put a fish through a move and then immediately change the temps again, it can contribute to acclimation shock.

Flicking is often a sign of emergent ectoparasites parasites though, so continue to keep a close eye on the fish for a week or two, whitespot is a real possibility, and it often emerges with new aquisitions.

Given the fish are new and still settling in, id avoid treatment until you see a definate symptom. It could just be a touch of stress, plus maybe scratching at a few bites from the tussles a lot of fish get on introduction to new cagemates. Time will tell.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 20:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I would remove it on it's own in another tank, as a precaution. Be carefull & check for lice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2007 22:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
SheffieldChris
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
male england
Thanks for the advice everyone.

the iching has calmed down now, it has not got worse. i havent seen him ich for a day and half now. unfortunatly i dont have a spare tank set up.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2007 11:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies