Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeToo Many Fry
martinh
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 3
male uk
i've got 6 3-4 month old fry in my tank and i've got abot 30 5 week old fry in a breeder net and my molly went and had 30 odd more fry....i've put them in another breeding net ...obviously i've got too many fry is it inhumane to feed the fry to my 1 shark and 2 clown loaches.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 03:38Profile PM Edit Report 
martinh
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 3
male uk
before anybody answers i'm going to build them up and give them to a LFS ,i dont have the heart to kill them
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 03:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Many LFS won't take livebearer fry, simply because there are too many of them. It is much easier to just get a slightly predaceous fish (such as gouramis, loaches, small cichlids, or small catfish) to eat the fry before their population explodes.

At the store where I worked, when people brought us their livebearer fry we would usually just end up using them to feed our fish (we informed the people bringing in the fish of our intentions, of course, and they generally had no problem with it). Livebearers have so many fry so often, it simply isn't practical to raise them all into adult fish.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 04:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
i have this same problem with my albino cories who lay eggs a few times a week. i used to try n raise them but in the end there was too many.
it may feel heartless but sometimes all you can do is let the other fish make a meal of them.

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 04:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
If you do not have show quality livebearers that people will pay to have and you don't want to feed them to predatory fish then first I would stop putting them in breeding nets. That will help limit the population alot. Then I would either start making plans to seperate males and females or find an lfs that will take the few fry that survive. You can't pay stores to take livebearer fry here. They have even more than the predatory fish can eat. Chances are if you don't do something real quick your going to be stuck with 100s of livebearers you just can't do anything with.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 05:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies