L# mollies in a salt water tank?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribemollies in a salt water tank?
1st_signer

Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
Votes: 1
male usa us-california
my friend wanted to start a salt water aquarium but has 3 mollies left and he wants to know if the mollies could live in hard core salt water if not so he could wait till they die
thanks

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2009 03:14Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
NO...
mollies are freshwater ONLY.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2009 05:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 28-Sep-2009 03:36
Tch, what? Mollies can live in full saltwater no problem, you just have to acclimate them over a couple months. People even use mollies to cycle saltwater tanks.

Freshwater only isn't even right, mollies originate in brackish waters. I've never kept them, but I've heard they do better in brackish water than freshwater.

I've only ever seen sailfin mollies in saltwater, though, so at least I can't confirm I've seen your normal Poecilia sphenops in full saltwater.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2009 03:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
EditedEdited 05-Nov-2009 23:16
My father in law uses mollies as feeder fish. He has a brackish tank of them. He puts them from the brackish tank to salt water tank, salt to brackish, salt to fresh. You do not need months. Float them in a bag for 30 minutes slowly bring water from the tank in the bag.
That is more then my father in law does. The fish will be fine. They will even breed in salt water.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2009 23:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies