truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited by truestar
A few weeks ago I posted about the possibility of doing a saltwater tank. In that topic I later stated that I was going to wait and see if I could get a 29/30 gallon to start off with. As it turns out, I'm not sure if I'm going to get that tank at all, the way things are looking I won't be getting any more tanks. So I decided that I want to try a marine tank even though I only have a 15 gallon to work with. I won't be setting the tank up for quite some time, say 5-6 months, as I'm using it for some baby guppies and want to attempt some breeding using the same tank first.

I'm still going to try to get a bigger tank, but let's assume that I'll be using this 15 gallon. I plan on setting up a FOWLR using the Eclipse System that the tank came with, should I use the Bio-Wheel or not? I have heard that they are bad for marine tanks. I want to have between 15-20lbs of live rock, maybe even more. I probably won't be using a protein skimmer on this tank unless I wind up upgrading to a bigger tank, as I have heard that smaller tanks don't need one.

I will cycle the tank with live rock. How long should I wait before adding the fish? As soon as the cycle is over? A few weeks after the cycle?

On to stocking. I know that I will most likely be limited to one fish, I just don't know what that one fish is. Would it be possible to keep a Ocellaris Clownfish in this tank? This would be the one fish that I would keep if it is suitable for my tank, but I have heard that a 30 gallon is the minimum, however I have seen people keep them in 10 gallon nano-reef tanks. If I can't keep the Clownfish feel free to recommend a fish that would be more appropriate. What about inverts? Can I keep any? I was thinking some kind of crab or some shrimp if I could. Thanks in advance for all the help I will get from you guys.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 04:28Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
If you have enough live rock and current, then you won't need the biowheel. However, the filter provides a basically useless amount of flow for a sw tank. In reaching 10-20x turnover, a basic minimum in a sw tank, you'll need to go for a few extra powerheads.

A skimmer assists you in reducing the nutrient load on the tank, no matter the size of the tank. However, the small size of the tank makes it easier to do larger, more frequent water changes to make up for the fact that you aren't using a skimmer. Note that there's a tradeoff with going skimmerless.

I'd personally leave the LR in the tank for at least a month past the cycle before I add fish, or any inverts that might succeed in decimating the beneficial critters on the rock.

As for fish, an occ clown should be fine. some shrimp and crabs would be reasonable in the 15, just make sure you do your research first.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 05:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
I plan on using 2 powerheads in the tank for water movement. I may get a skimmer once I start to add fish/inverts to the tank. Thank you for the quick reply. And don't worry, I plan on doing tons of research before I even think about setting the tank up.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2007 07:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
After figuring in cost and the fish I would like to keep, I figured that it wouldn't cost too much more and that it would give me more options as far as stocking goes, to just step up to a 55-75 gallon tank. I was wondering if you could give me the dimensions of a standard 75 gallon tank. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2007 22:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I know the bottom "footprint" is 48" X 18" and I want to say it's about 20" tall.

Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 18:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Thank you Matt. I was wondering because I have a very solid 6 foot long dresser I was thinking about using as a stand, but it's only 15 inches wide. Looks like I'll need a new stand if I go for the 75. I'm looking at a 75 gallon tank for $100 and a 55 gallon with stand, canopy, lights, and filtration system for $100. My first choice is the 75 gallon, but the guy had someone who was supposed to be picking it up today. He said if that fell through I could have it, I'll call him later and see if it sold. If it did I'll be getting the 55 gallon. I'll let you know what I wind up getting.
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 19:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
It looks as if I'll be getting a 55 gallon tank. I have decided that I would like to run a sump on this tank, as it will help with the overall stability and being that I'm new to this I think it would help. I plan on using a 24 gallon plastic/acrylic container that I have. My question is, how should I keep the baffles in place? I have heard that silicone won't bond well to these types of surfaces, do you have any suggestions as to what I could use? I'll also divide the sump turn part of it into a refugium.

I have a question about substrates. I thought that I could put a DSB in the fuge to help with NNR, how deep should the sand be for this? Another thing, could I mix some ordinary playsand in with some live/argonite sand, would this work okay or not?

I just thought I'd start trying to get some answers and start planning things out so I know what I'm doing when I eventually set the tank up. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 07:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
There are special chems out there that bind acrylic to acrylic, so that's what I'd suggest you use. you should be able to ask the folks at home depot what that's about, I forget the name of the stuff.

If you are going for a DSB, there are a few things to know. A lot of progress has been made here in a short amount of time recently. To be honest you should try to get the most recent addition of Coral Magazine, which outlines a dsb VERY well. I couldn't easily sum it up here, but it seems there's more to consider than just depth and grain size these days. Light and flow also play a strong role, as too much detritus settling and light can also make the bed difficult to maintain. This was the trap I fell into in my last tank I believe. From what I read, it might be best to separate your DSB from your sump/refugium, where it can stay relatively dark and have a lot of flow over it.

I personally wouldn't use playsand. I'd stick with all aragonite with a very small grain size if you are interested in NNR. Also a depth of 6" is suggested.

Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 17:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Thanks for the reply Matt. I'll look for chemicals that will bind to acrylic when I start making the sump. One problem I seem to be coming across in the plans is that I have an corner overflow box rated at 600 GPH with a U-tube that siphons the water into the sump. If the power cuts off and the return pump quits pumping the water to the main tank won't the siphon break? And when the power comes back won't the main tank overflow? I have thought about using another pump or a powerhead to move the water to the sump, so if the power goes out all the water movement would stop, would this work well?

I'll use all aragonite sand if it will be better for the DSB. I'll also look for a recent addition of Coral Magazine to read.
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 18:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
If the overflow box is well made, it won't break the siphon and flood the place. If you know what you are looking for you can tell easily whether it will break the siphon or not. There should be two chambers in the back part of the overflow, the part that's outside of the tank. One chamber will hold part of the u-tube, and the other holds the drain. If you think that's what yours looks like, then just give it a try.....pull the plug and see what happens.

Moving water to the sump with a powerhead or pump is a VERY bad idea. Don't try it.

Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 22:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited by truestar
Okay thanks. The overflow I have is identical to the one you described. And as it turns out, I miscalculated the size of what will become my sump, it's really 34 gallons. It will probably only hold about 20-25 gallons of water though.
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 22:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Well, I'm going to be getting a 75 gallon tank if everything goes according to plan. I might pick it up today. It comes with lights, stand, and some kind of filter(which I probably won't use on this tank) for just $150. I'll have to change the topic name once I get it, LOL.
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2007 17:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited by truestar
I am sad to say, that due to my financial backing(family members) pulling out unless I do a South American tank, I won't be able to set up the tank for about 1+ years when I can get a job. I will however still use these forums to gather info so that when the time comes I will know what I'm doing. I really, really appreciate all the help I have gotten from you guys, your awesome, and I just hope that my tank will look half as Matt's when I get to set it up. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2007 09:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks, and sorry to hear about the money issues. Good luck with your african cichlid setup.

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2007 03:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies