AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Marine Setup
  L# A marine setup with a 42G tall tank??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeA marine setup with a 42G tall tank??
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Hi

I've been thinking about changing my current 42G tall freshwater tank to a marine setup. My LFS advised that you cannot have a marine setup with a tall tank because of the lighting issue and surface area. Apparently you can't get a lighting system that is small enough to fit over the canopy that will provide enough light to reach the bottom of the tank or strong enough for the live rock. I would really like to use my existing tank because when I was pricing out a 55G rectangular tank, it came up to well over $2500.00 US for a complete system but no sump.

I'd appreciate any advice on this. Thank you!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 00:06Profile PM Edit Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Yes, it is possible to light a tank like that, but it wouldn't be very cost-effective. I'm not sure how tall that tank is, but I'm assuming that it's at least 18-24" deep... that'll most likely require metal halide lights if you plan on keeping any corals anywhere near the bottom of the tank. Halides are expensive and produce a lot of heat... you'll want to vent the halides, and you'll probably need a chiller to counteract the heat of the halides... all that will add up.

It'd probably be cheaper to go with a 55 gal and go with a cooler, less powerful light (T5's, LED's, PC's, CF's (look for my 20 gal tank log and check out the pics of my CF light fixture))...

Tall marine tanks are definitely do-able... I've seen a few of them done... but they're much harder to light, oxygenate, scape, and stock. Short and wide tanks work at lot better than tall and skinny tanks... especially when it comes to reefs...

Either way, good luck
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 06:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Thanks for the info. Poisonwaffle. Guess my decision has been made.

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 20:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies