SubscribeGoing into the dark side
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 1211
Votes: 196
male mexico
EditedEdited by Falstaf
Hi, I just decided after years of being scared to give a marine tank a try, I've been reading and reading and reading again and I'm guess I'm ready ( I sure hope so).

I was wondering if you guys could help me with opinions on equipment first of all, I'm a bit confused if the choices I've taken a re the best or not. So here it goes...

The Plan

I want to set up a 20G bow front tank, I would like it to be a reef tank and just a couple of small fish. I would like to keep corals.

I've seen a LOT of filters and skimmers, and I narrowed my choice to this one Prizm Deluxe I've asked people who are using it and they say it's wonderful so far, any comments on it? I was told that this will be more than enough for filtration.

As for lights I've chosen to do a hood for the tank with 4 fluorescent 50W compacts, I've used this on planted tanks and they worked wonderful with high lighting plants. Will these be enough for light demanding corals and macro algae?

Live rock and sand
I can't believe how difficult and expensive it is to get those here in the city, so I'm aiming for a 2 inch sand bed, but it's a lot of money to do the whole 2" of live one, so could I buy normal non-live sand and do an inch of it and place the other inch of live sand on top? any suggestions?

As for live rock, I don't have much problem because I just want to start with like 3 big ones and then just add smaller ones with the corals. Is this a good idea?

Ok I'll leave I here and eagerly await your comments and suggestions, thanks in advance!
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2006 22:02Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
The lighting sounds pretty good, I think I read that you will have 200W of compact flourescents(didn't know that much light can be fit over a 20 bowfront without MH's). A combo of 10,000K and Actinics will look nice and you will most likely have your choice of corals, though softies and LPS will be sure to do well.

I've heard good and bad things about the prizms. From what I've heard it's hard to keep the skimmate constant, it sends out some microbubbles, and it's kinda flimsy. Most people like the Aqua C Remora for smaller tanks.

As for live rock/sand I find the rock to be the more important part. The sand will eventually become "live" in time. Something like a small grade Aragonite will do great. Detritus can uild up easier in larger grade sands/rubble.

The live rock is the important part, and I'd get at least 20 lbs of porous rock for your tank. In conjunction with the skimmer and a powerhead for circulation, that's really all the filtration you need.

As for live rock, I don't have much problem because I just want to start with like 3 big ones and then just add smaller ones with the corals. Is this a good idea?

Personally I wouldn't get anything larger than 5 lbs for the tank. Two 4-5ish lb peices and a bunch of small 2lb peices will usually look better in a small tank.

If you haven't thought about a sump, you should. It provides increased amount of water capacity, and a lot of your equipment(heater, skimmer, chem filtration) can be hidded in it. Also you can grow macroalgae in it as nutrient export. I know that mine really aids in keeping the nitrates at or near 0ppm.

Also, Welcome to the dark side Falstaff, I've been wondering where you've been. I haven't seen you post too much, but I've been over here in the dark side a lot lately *squints eyes*.

You can see my 30 reef setup down there *points to sig* for ideas if you like. And my thread here

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2006 23:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Thanks for the welcome Matty, i've been around just not posting that much latelly but still here, thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't thought of a sump, i want to keep it as simple and functional as i can, but maybe it's a good idea i do have the space for it in the tank stand.

Here is a pic of the hood, this is not the one i'm using but practically the same

Actually your tank log inspired me to give it a try, so i've been looking at it for quite a while (spying! ) I was just deciding between a seahorse tank or a reef, since we don't many sources of captivity bread fish i don't want to promote the wild capture, so i'll go for a reef, i do know several places that reproduce corals in farms and don't mess with natural reefs.

I'll take a look at the skimer that you mention, maybe it's a better option, filtering is my greatest confussion now!! some recommend canister filters other skimers other both

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 00:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
I'm glad my thread can be of some serviece. It mainly seems like I'm just asking a bunch of questions and bothering the pros.

On a reef tank I wouldn't mess with a canister. IMO they will just be a hassle. LR is all the bio filtering you need. If you need some mechanical filtration, I'd just run a HOB filter now and then when you need it, but not all the time.

I thought that might be how you got that much light over a small tank.

To be honest, you probably can't get those bulbs in the right spectra for a reef tank. Like I said above, you'll want 10000K and actinics. If you want to check out some retrofit options on the net Hellolights is reputable, AHsupply is too I think. You'll probably want an electric ballast to power the bulbs, a nice reflector, and the correct length blulbs to fit under your hood.

For simplicity sake, I bought a coralife hood. However, now I'm already thinking of upgrading my lights to HO T5s or VHO's. I know IceCap makes good ballasts, so try to find those if you can.

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 02:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Thanks Matt!

The hood is always the problem with this bow fronts! that one gave me a hello f a time when it was a planted tank, that's why i vae it away, i planned to have one custom made with the shape and needs for the tank, and aluminum with a mirror reflector, i met a guy that custom fabricates them here and at decent price the problem is that it's only 30 inches wide and all the bulbs that i've seen are much longer than that, maybe i can find the smaller azoo AZOO HI-PL LIGHT TUBE i thin i can fit a couple of those, what you think?

I checked the AquaC skimmers they look good but way off my budget, another option?
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 07:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Welcome Falstaf

My ride for my SAT class is about to get here but I dont like Prizms.

more later

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 15:40Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I haven't heard anything about those bulbs, but I know if your hood is 30 inches long, then the 55W bulbs will fit under the hood. For soft corals you'd want at least 2, to be able to grow some of the easier hard corals 3 bulbs would be necessary. If the HI PL is white and blue, you can use those, or use seperate white and blue bulbs, since you will need more than one anyways.

As for the skimmer, I know the Coralife super skimmer is supposed to be ok, and I THINK you can hang it on the back. We have those at the store for $115 so you can probably get it online for less. Those are the only other small skimmers that I recommend people. You really don't want to skimp on a skimmer, they are a very important peice of equipment for a saltwater tank. You don't have to set it up immediately either, you can let everything cycle for a bit before you set it up. I did my tank on a budget, I saved up for a few months, then purchased one thing at a time over quite a while. My tank still isn't fully stocked of corals, and I'm still thinking about 1 more fish, so take your time.

Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 18:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Hi Ferret, thanks for the welcome, i'll be bugging you guys all the time now!

I'm checking the Coralife skimmers is this the one you are talking about? Coralife Looks good, and good price too, i guess i have to get the 65G, since it's a 20G right?
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2006 22:26Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yep. Really most manufacturers don't make skimmers for tanks smaller than 65-75G. I guess it doesn't make sense for them.

If it were me I'd want to put it in a sump, it might be a bit obtrusive on such a small tank.

Post InfoPosted 12-Feb-2006 00:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
If i use a sump, do i have to put a overflow box?
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 02:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The only other option is to have your tank drilled. I think a guy around here will drill tanks for $20 a hole.

Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 02:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
EditedEdited by Falstaf
I think right there is a buisness oportunity!!! $20 a hole?!?!?!

Ok so now i have to reaserch into those, i never even thought of adding one because if would take space from the tank that is already small.

OK i need a diagram!!! LOL i'm totally lost now, if i usea sump, how do i get the waer down to it, and into it again, will the skimmer do that?? sorry never looked into a sump but the more i reed about the benefits it just makes sence to have it.

So... lept me please do a what i need list

So far i have
2 power heads for current that go in the tank
The skimmer
200 W submirable heater
a 10G tank for the sump
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 02:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
If you drill your tank on the back wall, most of the way up, water will gravity feed into the sump through the pvc that you plumbed from the hole to the sump. The only thing in your tank if you opt to drill is going to be some sort of grating so fish and whatnot don't travel into the sump.

The water will be returned via a pump(probably 2-300gph pump that can operate under backpressure, like a mag-drive) to the tank, also through the pvc that you plumbed.

If the hole in your tank is big enough, or you have enough small holes, the exact same amount of water will be gravity fed into the sump that is pumped from the sump to the main tank.

There are quite a few designs for sumps out there on the net, I'd search for some. Personally, I kinda modified the plans from a friends tank. The picture of mine is still up on my tank log.

Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 03:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Sorry I ran out so quick the other day. I really wanted to post but my ride came and I had to run. Just thought I'd leave myself a reminder.

Okay, I vote for seahorse tank. I really think that they make amazing displays. You can by tank raised seahorses online, at places like Marine Depot and whatnot. It's not hard to find, and you'll pay fair prices. You just have to be careful when you get them shipped, and check out the guarantees before you buy.

A seahorse tank might actually be cheaper than a reef because you dont have to be as wary of lighting with ponies.

Small skimmers...I dont have much experience here but I have an AquaC EV and I love it. I dont know what the smallest size they make is though, and mine is one of the lower models. (My system is 100 gallons.)

As for the whole live sand thing, you'll be fine. I didn't use any LS in my tank and I have a DSB. It worked out perfect. But then again, I added over 100 lbs of LR so that might have helped.

Do make sure you get the submersible heater with thermostat, and I'd get a good digital thermometer too. Lifeguard makes a good one, available on MD.

Since this will be a smaller tank, I actually recommend powerheads. I wonder if a seaswirl would be too big...probably. I've had good experience with MaxiJets, but I dont use powerheads on my tank so I cant really say.

HTH a bit. Keep posting your questions, and if you need pictures/diagrams of sump set ups/plumbing LMK, I'll get some of mine up when I'm home. (At school now.)

Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2006 16:44Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
One thing to keep in mind is that there are MANY MANY MANY different ways to do a reef tank. One person can run a reef with XYZ components and another can person can run it a totally different way. Both can be right, however both can also claim that the other is wrong.

Also, working in a fish store, I have found that most products are either loved or hated. Everyone seems to love what they use, and hate everything else. Also, people tend to base their thoughts off of their own experience. Many good (even GREAT) products can get a bad rap if someone has the slightest issue with it. With reefs being so delicate and quite expensive, people want PERFECT. Thus, if something isn't perfect, then it must apparently be horrible. This is just what I tend to hear.

Also, it's hard to combine different techniques. Joe Schmoe's use of product A might work great in his tank, but in John Smith's tank, it might cause problems. Why? Because maybe Joe is using some other products that increase the effectiveness of the product, however in John's tank, another product might conflict with it.

Just some things to keep in mind.

NOTE: Even though I say "everyone" I don't mean EVERYONE!
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2006 03:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Hi Ferretfish! thanks for the offering, and i would love to see one of your tank if you have one, i'm second thinking the sump, i think it's just to much for such a small tank, and also more expensive, so i'm going first with the hang on Coralife skimmer and take it from there.

Since it's a bow front, creating a current is quite easy, so i'll star by using the head of a dolphin filter I already had from a FW tank and remove the chambers. Will a circleing current be alright?
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2006 22:53Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Will a circleing current be alright?

A random and chaotic current is best, and is pretty easy to accomplish with powerheads or a closed loop
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2006 04:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Tank picture?

I guess I could do that.

This one's old. Tank is much changed. New picture soon.

I use an oceans motions super squirt to get current in my tank.

Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2006 04:21Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Thats a really cool tank!! thanks for the photo, i'm thinking after doing all the instalation, to make a kind of V formation, with the tip of the V is facing the bow part (front) i think that it wil give me chance of puting some distance for different corals without them stinging one another or harming eachother and more hiding places por critters.

Sounds good?
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2006 03:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 25-Feb-2006 03:50
This post has been deleted
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies