Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHelp with first marine setup
Stella
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 974
Votes: 16
female usa
First off Hi to everyone reading this - Its been a while since I posted here last - I got out of fish keeping for a while but I've been bitten by the fish bug again... This time I would like to set up a fish only marine tank. What extra equipment am I going to have to buy. I have the following now:
55 gallon tank and stand
2 emperor 400 HOB filters &
Heater

With the tank being fish only what kind of substate and rock and I going to need? What kind of fish could I keep in this tank?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I need as much help as I can get
Thanks in advance
Stella
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2008 05:09Profile ICQ MSN PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I'd honestly think about getting a decent HOB skimmer like the aqua c remora or coralife super skimmer. That will help you keep the water clean. I'd also recommend another source of water movement, a powerhead such as a koralia 3 would be good. Since you mentioned rock, I would go with at least two large sized rocks for natural hiding places and increased filtration for the tank. I'd personally use the seafloor grade aragonite at about an inch or less for a substrate.

There are many fish to chose from; clowns, gobies, anthias, wrasses, dwarf angels, blennies, hawkfish, and even a couple tangs (tomini and kole) that would do well in that size tank.

Sounds like it would be a nice FO or FOWLR tank.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2008 05:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Stella
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 974
Votes: 16
female usa
Thanks for replying so quickly! How many powerheads would I need for the tank?? Also does it matter what kind of rock that I put into the tank??
Thanks again,
Stella

...I'm sure I'll think of more questions later
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2008 05:31Profile ICQ MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
If you have the two emperors and one koralia 3, I think that would be plenty of flow for a FO or FOWLR tank.

The rock is up to you, but it should be live rock. There are many types of live rock. I personally like fiji live rock. Look here for example. Since you aren't going with a reef or invert tank, one box or one quantity (around 45 lbs as I looked) from these guys will be plenty for some nice hiding spots and will probably cycle your tank too. That said, you will need to "cure" the rock, meaning let the ammonia and nitrite cycle out before you add fish.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2008 16:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies