Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHydrometer Issues
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
im still learning how to measure salt in the water. when i test with my hydrometer i get various results. some times it barely goes up, other times it goes to the max. is this just operator error or could it be that my hydrometer is a piece of junk? or is this just a sign that my salt hasnt dissolved completly?

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2007 22:49Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
You have to make sure to knock all the bubbles off the swing arm. To do this, just tap it on something until you get a steady reading.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2007 00:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Hydrometers can also be affected by temperature. Along with the fact you need to make sure you clean them out with distilled or ro water between uses or the salt will build up. If your going to use a hydrometer I suggest the ones that float. They are more accurate and still only around $10.

If you know your going to stay with saltwater a refractometer is entirely worth it. A low end version is the portable refractometer: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9957&N=2004+114131 which you can also buy from premiumaquatics.com. It's probably the best thing I spent my money on for my tank. I don't think I could live without it. All it takes is a dropper full of water and about 30seconds to check the salinity with more accuracy than any hydrometer. There's rarely any guessing where the line is and I've never managed to make a mistake and get a false reading. I can also test water from a bag with new purchases when there wouldn't be near enough water to do that with a hydrometer. This refractometer does not withstand being dropped or any type of impact. If you want an indestructible version they can be had for around $200. This is as cheap as refractometers get but it's still as accurate as anything else you can buy. Just not as sturdy. Although I still have my refractometer while I broke my floating glass hydrometer.
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2007 05:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
i think the first couple of times i was having problems becuase of the air bubbles, i have been getting a consistant 1.020 the last couple of times. i added a bit more salt to bump it up a lil

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2007 21:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
I agree that a refractometer is the best solution. I seem to notice that my hydrometer was off by .005 when I got my refractometer and calibrated it.I use the same one that Sham posted.
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2007 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies