Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLighting for 29 gallon FOWLR
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
I am setting up a 29 gallon FOWLR. My tank came with a 24 inch fluorescent light strip (single bulb). I know I need to get a new bulb as I haven't changed it out forever. Is that fixture sufficent with the correct type of bulb? What type of bulb should I have?

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
If you plan on keeping anything photosythetic, that light just wont cut it. In a FOWLR i guess the only thing you want to grow is algae. Ask Liana about lighting, shes awesome.

If you want to grow anything, you'll need some stronger lighting.

For Aesthetic puposes, you may want to get different lights to bring out the color in your fish.

nick

Last edited by swiftshark88 at 18-Dec-2005 13:55

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Thanks for the recomendation Nick. *blushes*

Jmara,

Luckily, if you're only having a FOWLR tank, you can get away with lower lighting. You're only going to need as much to make your eyes happy, the animals wont care too much.

One bulb doesn't give us much to work with. Are you willing to upgrade the whole fixture?

You need to switch over to sw bulbs. Are you looking more for a white color or a blue color? Most people aim for the bluish hue in their tank, but everyone has their preferences.

-Ferret [img src='/images/forums/halo.gif' border=0]

PS...Nate is really better with lighting than me. I can light up reef tanks, that's about it.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Right now I want to stick with the lighting fixture I have but in a couple months I might get the urge to put some money into a new fixture.

As for color, I am open for anything. Although I am a little partial to blue tint. If I upgrade the lighting then I know I have to upgrade the entire hood That's what scares me away from that

But I would love suggestions on both. Thanks~!

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
What kind of bulb is in there now?

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Right now there is just the bulb that came with the fixture. It is just a cheap bulb. I've been using it as a freshwater aquarium for years so it really didn't matter.

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Swap that bulb out with a 50/50 bulb and you will be good to go...when you get ready to upgrade lighting, post again with roughly how much you want to invest
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Ok! I have some money burning a whole in my pocket I am in the spending mood So I am looking for a light unit for my 29 gallon. Right now I have just a FOWLR but I might eventually get a simple anemone so lets plan for that. What lights would you suggest? I am not looking to spend over $200 (however, I'm sure if I REALLY like it I would be willing to spend a little more) but let me know what would keep me "ahead of the game" if I decided to get anemones.

I was thinking PC lighting would best suit my needs. And I don't care about lunar lighting, so that is not a big selling point for me. Thanks for everything! I always appreciate the guidence

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 08:25Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I'm pretty sure that PC lighting will not cut it for most anemones, from what I've heard anyways. I haven't personally tried any in my tank, but seeing what has and hasn't done well, I don't think an anemone would do well permanently in my tank.

Hopefully someone with some more experience will come along here for ya.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 08:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Are you happy with the lighting you have in your 30? Would you go with something else, Matt?

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 09:01Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'm not unhappy with it. It could be better, I guess I got what I paid for, which isn't a bad thing. If I were to change lights I wouldn't go with MH because I don't want to grow sps exclusively and find hiding spots for the LPS I want to keep. But I've seen a friends tank run on T-5's with an IceCap ballast and he got great color from everything, even the sps he was keeping. One day I may switch over to T-5's.

Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 15:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 168
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by saltnewbie

jmara, thank me later..:

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=9

I have ordered many items from this company. It is by far the most inexspensive site and they have mid-good quality. Fast shipping, and you can get preety much any light hood you could possible dream of there, for under 200 dollars. Check it out...

Oh and btw they sell only saltwater light setups, meaning that all the bulbs that come with the hoods are either 50/50, or 12000k and up! Perfect for what your looking for, eh'?
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 04:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
I'd be careful with "deals" on lighting. Sometimes the ballasts aren't built to par. I've read threads of bargain lighting starting on fire and generally breaking down over the course of a year.

Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 21:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
saltnewbie
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 168
Votes: 1
male usa
I have ordered from this website before, the lighting is going strong plus I have read other reviews and they were good.
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 02:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies