SubscribePlanning a 75 gallon
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I've decided that after a year of keeping a couple freshwater tanks I'd like to try my hand at the saltwater part of the hobby. So I'm in the planning stages for a 75 gallon FOWLR tank.

I know that when it comes to aquariums (saltwater especially) starting big is best, so I'll be using a 75 gallon tank. I'll also be running a 30-55 gallon sump under the tank for filtration. Speaking of filtration, I'll be using live rock as my main filtration, so I'm planning on using 75-90lbs in the display along with another 10-20lbs in the sump. I'll also be running a good quality skimmer in the sump. Feel free to recommend one.

Now I'll discuss the stocking plan, let me know if these fish/inverts are compatible and if they would be too hard to keep.

1 pair of Maroon Clowns
1 Dwarf Lionfish
1 Flame Angel
1 Yellow Tang
1 Chocolate Chip or Blue Linckia starfish

I'd add the Clowns first, then after a few months I'd add the Angel, then the Tang, and finally the Lionfish. I'd add the Starfish after the tank has matured nicely (about 3 months after last fish have been added). Does that sound alright?

Question, do Starfish need any extra lighting, like corals do? I don't think they do, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, besides Starfish, are there any inverts that the Lionfish won't eat? Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 12:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
EditedEdited by Mez
I would do it completely the opposite way.
in order of how i would do it:
Starfish, i wouldnt go for a choc chip...green brittle would be far more approprite.
Lionfish
Flame Angel
Yellow Tang
Pair of Maroon Clowns
Maroon clowns are very territorial, dwarf fuzzys couldnt care less, and yellow tangs can be aggressive towards new fish.
Hermits will be fine with lions, as will starfish, urchins, sea cucumbers etc. Crabs, shrimps and small fish are in the lions diet. Starfish do not require any light at all.
I also think you could have a few more fish in there also.
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 20:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Thanks Mez. I guess it does make more sense to add the Clowns last. I'll cut out the Chocolate Chip/Linckia and go for a Green Brittle if I get a starfish. I really was only gonna get it because I wanted inverts, not just fish, and was under the impression that Hermits couldn't be kept with Lions. Thanks for clearing that up, now I can get some.

You mentioned I could probably have more fish than intended. I don't want to push the limit, but what other fish would you recommend? Also, do you think my filtration plan will be good enough?

P.S I forgot to mention I'll have 2-4 Koralia powerheads in the display for added water movement.
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 22:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
There's been a change of plans, after thinking it over I've decided not to get the Lionfish. So that kind of gives me more options when it comes to stocking this tank. My new idea is something like this:

1 Pair Ocellari or Percula Clowns
5 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Yellow Watchman's Goby
1 Pair Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Flame Angel
3-5 Hermit Crabs
2-3 Cleaner Shrimp
3 Peppermint Shrimp
Maybe 1 Pistol Shrimp to see if he pairs up with the Goby

This is quite different from what I had planned but I'd be very happy with it. If the bio-load is a little too high I'll cut out the Cardinalfish. I'm glad that I'll get to keep shrimp now at least since the Lion won't hunt them down, especially since I really wanted a Cleaner shrimp since they help control Ich I've heard. Also, what are the chances that the Pistol would pair up with the Goby? I just think that would be an interesting relationship to watch. Anyways, does this stocking list sound okay, or does it need to be edited a little?
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 00:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited by truestar
I thought now would be as good a time as any to start coming up with a list of equipment I'll be buying for the tank, so here it goes.

For a skimmer, I was looking at the Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel rated for 125 gallon tanks. Does this look good to you, or would you recommend something else? I'll be running it in-sump. For a return pump I was planning on using a Mag 5.

I plan on making this a reef tank after a year or two of running it, so I'm debating what type of lighting I should get. I would like to keep pretty much everything except SPS corals. So I was thinking HO T5 lighting with individual parabolic(sp?) reflectors.

Also, does my stocking list sound okay, or should I cut out some of the fish? Thanks for all your help.
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2008 07:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Hi and sorry for the delay in reply.

1 Pair Ocellari or Percula Clowns
5 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Yellow Watchman's Goby
1 Pair Bangaii Cardinalfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Flame Angel
3-5 Hermit Crabs
2-3 Cleaner Shrimp
3 Peppermint Shrimp
Maybe 1 Pistol Shrimp to see if he pairs up with the Goby

Everything should fit well there, there are a few things though, The chromis tend to fight amongst each other especially when young and this tends to leave one beasty fish only. A MUCH more suitable choice would be Barrier Reef Chromis, a lot less agressive with each other and school a lot tighter.
I would PERSONALLY leave hermit crabs out of it if you think you may end up getting corals, that they WILL knock over, if not they should be fine but i also reccomend 10 nassarius snails, they really are good waste food eaters. They also stir the sand really well.
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2008 22:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Also i cant help with Skimmers as i am not aware with US brands, but T5s would be fine for most soft and LPS corals, possibly even some SPS high up.
Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2008 22:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Thanks Mez, I'll look into those Chromis you recommended. I'll also get some of those Nassarius snails, and leave out the Hermits if they'll mess with the corals.

Speaking of corals, are there any you would recommend for a beginner? I was thinking something like this:

Toadstool Leather Coral
Brain Coral
Frogspawn
Pulsing Xenia
Zoanthids
Star Polyps
Branching Hammer Coral

Does that sound alright? Thanks for the help Mez.

Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2008 23:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
The coralife superskimmers are pretty decent skimmers, especially as far as HOB skimmers go. However, there are much better in-sump style skimmers out there, but cost a little more too.

Those corals you mentioned would all be good to start with.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2008 04:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited by truestar
I'm glad that those corals would be okay. Can you recommend a good skimmer?

Edit: I found a T-5 fixture that's in my price range that I think looks good. I wanted to see what you guys thought about it first. It would give me a total of 432 watts. Here's the link.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+12772&pcatid=12772
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2008 05:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Be careful when placing the LPS as they will sting
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2008 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
Just thought I'd let you guys know that I got a job, so I should be able to start setting this tank up by December of this year! I just wanted to thank all the people who gave me such good advice in this thread.
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2009 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Great, I hope to see some pics then!

Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2009 14:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
I feel like this is a stupid question, but where would one drill the holes for a sump, or should I say for the water running into a sump? I was planning on drilling the holes in the back pane of glass, near the top right. But while reading about sump design and different methods of plumbing them, I noticed a lot of people put the holes in the base of the tank, and set up a little corner overflow/skimmer box. I really don't care to have that in my aquarium, I don't find it aesthetically pleasing, but if that's where I have to put the holes I will. I was just wondering if my plan would work or if I should put the holes in the base of the tank. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Most tanks bottom panels are tempered, meaning you cannot drill the bottom panel. People who have overflows through the bottom of the tank were drilled at the manufacturer before the pane of glass was tempered. You should be able to drill the back panel of glass as you had planned. That's how my tanks are drilled.

Post InfoPosted 05-Sep-2009 14:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 10-Sep-2009 20:29
This post has been deleted
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited 14-Sep-2009 17:56
Well, I've been looking around online trying to find a PC light fixture for my 12 gallon freshwater tank, and after I finally found a fixture that sounds perfect for that tank, I decided to check out that same site to see if they had decent lighting for my soon-to-be 75 gallon marine tank. I found this T5HO fixture that sounds okay to me, but I'm not sure about the reflector on it. I remember reading somewhere on here that if each bulb doesn't have it's own reflector then T5 bulbs are no better than NO. So, I was hoping someone here could check this out for me and see what they think, and/or recommend a good place to look for lights. I tried ReefGeekz but their site isn't operable at the moment. Thanks guys.

http://shop.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-48in-4x54W-T5-HO-Light-Fixture-Pro-Series-p/52211.htm

This fixture is actually a metal Halide system, but thought I\'d throw it out there and see if it was worth getting or not.
http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54224
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 17:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
I'm about to purchase a used 72 gallon bowfront aquarium with wooden stand, glass tops, and a single strip light for $200. The guy says the tank doesn't leak at all, has no scratches, and best of all...it's reef ready!!! The strip light is most likely just a NO fluorescent, but that will work fine until I wanna start trying my hand at corals. I'm so psyched that I found such a good deal on a tank like this. It would be the same price for just the tank at my LFS (checked the prices on some items there today).
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2009 19:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Wtg Truestar! That's awesome!

Yeah, tanks are VERY expensive! If that's what it costs just for a tank in your area, then you're doubly lucky because where I live, that might cover a 20 gallon, but a 72 gallon would be closer to about $600.00 or more... just for the tank...
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2009 20:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited 20-Sep-2009 13:35
Well, I was actually comparing the price of the tank I'm getting to the price of a standard 75 gallon at my LFS, they don't even sell 72's there. Although the manager did tell me that a 72 gallon bowfront would run about $800 plus, just thought I'd clear that up. Anyways, I'm probably going to pick up the tank tomorrow!

P.S. I have a question about a POSSIBLE change to the stocking. Would it be possible to keep a Snowflake Eel with any of the smaller Clown species, like Ocellaris or Percula, or would they be a snack for the eel? What about Chromis?
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2009 02:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies