Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSand On Rock Or Rock On Sand
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
i keep hearing about arranging rock then adding sand around it. but i put sand first then added rock few days later, when i got the fish

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2007 09:17Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
The reason people suggest adding sand afterward is so that there isn't a giant dead spot of sand underneath your rock. I feel that if you put the sand in first, you can avoid the dead spots by pushing the rock down into the sand until you feel the glass underneath. That's what I did, and I think that arranging the rockwork with the sand supporting the rock is FAR easier. Less sliding around. In a true deep sand bed, neither approach is going to be used, because you want some of the sand bed to be anaerobic for nitrate reduction.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2007 16:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
In a DSB you want to bury the base rock to the bottom of the tank or near it if you are keeping any fish that might dig. There are alot of fish that will. Then your whole rock stack will come tumbling down. That is always the main reason I have heard and I have never been told not to bury the rocks. In a shallow sand bed it's not really an issue. There's not enough sand there to cause problems with aneorobic spots so long as you clean around the rock well and the fish can't dig enough to make the rocks fall. With sand it's best to either go completely 1 way or the other. Either put in around 1" or less for a SSB or over 3" for a DSB. In between will lead to problems with the anerobic areas instead of helping to filter the tank, maintenance difficulties, and the problems with rocks not being buried.
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2007 18:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Definitely put your rock in first. If you don't, you may end up with a collapsing pile of rocks o.O

One of my friends put sand in before rocks in one of his tanks... he had a rockslide at 3am one morning and the front pane of glass broke... he had about $500 in damage (dead corals, dry-running pumps, etc)...
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2007 19:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
thanks for the help everyone. ill take that into concideration when i redo my tank in a few months. im moving around the first of the year so im not really doing anything with my tank for now till we move

Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2007 08:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
I put the sand in first and then the LR. 10 yrs and the rock is still where I put it. Losg as you test the piece where it is for sturdiness it should be OK. As you see there is no one way to do this. One thing I would surely stress to to cycle your tank without the use of live fish. Hold off putting the fish in till your tank is cycled. Read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2007 04:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
im gonna be moving sooner than i planned so im going to be tearing down the tank within a week or two. as for now nothing is goin to be done im actually looking for someone to take my two damsel fish off my hands

Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2007 02:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies