Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeThinking about fowlr tank....
Pristellapower
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 39
Votes: 0
male usa
I have seriously been thinking about taking the dive into the wonderful world of saltwater.It would not be any time soon,but I probably would start next spring and take it slow setting it up.You know like get the tank,heater,salt mix,and live sand.Let it settle and then get live rock and lighting and everything.Maybe the fowlr kit on www.drsfostersmith.com.And take it even slower from there.Anyway I really do not have room or the money to go bigger than 29 gallons.I want a clown and that is set in stone if I end up doing this.My fiance really likes the yellow tail damsel.Would these 2 be ok in a 29??? I know 2-3 small fish is the limit.I am thinking 2 is better as this would be my first marine tank.If not we were thinking a goby or a firefish.But the clown and yellow tail damsel would be the first choices.Also a peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control,maybe a fire/blood shrimp or a pistol shrimp if we go with a goby.Also some little hermits and snails.And if we don't get a goby would we need a starfish or something for the sand??? I also know I would need a powerhead or 2.Would I need a refugium??? Would a hang-on one work? I would not be using a sump.Would I need anything else??? I do research everyday on this,but I still need help.Also a step by step guide on how to set it up would be helpful.If I do this I want to do it right.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Since apparently I'm the only one alive here, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

So you're going for about a twenty-nine gallon tank? What species of clownfish were you looking at? I'm guessing Amphiprion ocellaris, but it's best to make sure because some species of clownfish would need more room than a twenty-nine gallon.

Unfortunately, the damselfish would grow too large for your setup. These guys typically grow beyond five inches in captivity, and can also be quite territorial. Also, I should say that they become fairly ugly as they age; their bright coloration disappears.
I'm not knowledgeable about any gobies, but I think I can safely say that a firefish would be just fine in the tank. These fish are small and often very timid, so I doubt that one would pose any problems.

I can say that neither a refugium or a sump is absolutely necessary, though both are helpful additions to a marine setup. If you want to keep your stocking list small and simple, then you should be able to get along just fine without either of these. I do recommend a protein skimmer though.

For more information which may help your research, check out the following link: [link=http://fishprofiles.com/files/forums/General%20Marine/58926.html?200505011641]http://fishprofiles.com/files/forums/General%20Marine/58926.html?200505011641" style="COLOR: #808080[/link]

Hopefully this will help you out a bit. Welcome to Fish Profiles!

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Pristellapower
-----
Fingerling
male usa
The kit that I would be buying from www.drsfostersmith.com comes with a seaclone skimmer.I know they are not the best brand,but are better than nothing.Thanks for responding.This board is usually busy,but lately it has been dead.If you get the chance check out the 29 gallon fowlr kit on the website and let me know what you think.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Pristellapower
-----
Fingerling
male usa
oh yeah I forgot it would be a ocellaris clown.
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Are you referring to the twenty-nine gallon kit on [link=this]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12786&Ntt=fowlr&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1" style="COLOR: #808080[/link] page? The equipment all seems to be okay, except that I've heard complaints about the Coralife Power Center both through my job and here on the forums. See [link=here]http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/forums/Marine%20Setup/63850.html?200509061459" style="COLOR: #808080[/link] for more details.

The A. ocellaris will be just fine in that tank. They don't get too large, and like the clownfish I've seen tend to hang around one area, their "host", rather than swim all over the tank.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
I would try a pair of ocerallas clowns, its very intresting watching them interact with each other. plus you could still put another small fish like a goby or maybe royal dottyback for extra colour. good thing about fowlr setups is you can always try coral later down the track when you feel ready and have stabilty and lighting all worked out
Pristellapower
-----
Fingerling
male usa
ok so far I have been told that the power strip is bad and on another site and from the guy at the lfs I was told that the seaclone is garbage.So I am starting to think that getting the kit is a bad idea.I just wanted to keep this around $800-$850.I can't go higher than that.Maybe I might think about going another direction.It's just I really wanted to try the saltwater part of the hobby.
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
The two things I'd upgrade on the kit are the lights and the seaclone. Everything else is fine.

The lights don't really allow you to grow any sort of zooxanthelate coral IMO, but would be fine for FOWLR(which is your intention).

The seaclone pulls some skimmate, but isn't all that great. It's definitely better than nothing. Aqua C makes a good small tank HOB skimmer, the Remora. To save money on that try ebay.

Saving $30 isn't all that much when compared to the overall start up price. So I'd get what would do the best - including getting a 30G instead of a 29G. IMO you should stock a 29G similar to a 20G Long. The extra surface area is very beneficial in a saltwater tank because the oxygen levels are lower in saltwater. Plus they don't cost much more, and the equipment would all be the same, except the lights.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
Sounds like we have a very similar idea going on here. I am planning on doing a FOWLR tank as well, however I am going to atart a little bigger with a 55 gallon tank. I figure there is a tiny bit more room for error. Good Luck with yours. Please keep posting on this you might be able to help me out on some of this as well lol. Have fun, and welcome to Fishprofiles.com too!

Christina
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:20Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Pristellapower
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks for all of the responses.However I think I am going to look into some other intrests.
Pristellapower
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Well I am not exactly back in the game yet,but we have decided to either go with a fish theme or a bird theme for pets.If we do decide to go with fish I will be exploring a sw setup once again.Although it might not be a 29,but a 55 or 75.How much on average does a 55 or 75 gallon fowler tank cost? Before stocking as that comes after the setup.
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies