Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTiny Bubbles Or Particles In New Marine Set Up
Sonic2041
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 142
Votes: 19
male usa
i just started runing salt water in my setup and now there arre a bunch of tiny particles or air bubbles in my water. there seem to be more the more pumps i run. I dont remember there being any particles before i added salt.

It is a 120 gallon main tank with a sump. I have to iwaki 40RLT pumps and 2 rio 2500 pumps for wavemaking and a mag 7 powering the AquaC skimmer.

Is it normal to have bubbles or particles?
This is the only problem with my tank and i dont want to add my live rock until i know if whats wrong.

Thanks for the help!
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2006 06:45Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
If it's just turbulence from water entering your sump, it's a good idea to add some baffles to contain the bubbles in that area. Do this while you don't have any livestock or rock. You'll have to drain and dry that portion of the sump so that silicone will stick and cure properly.

Some skimmers are notorious for micro bubbles, but aqua c skimmers aren't one of them, so I would tend to assume that it's just turbulence in the sump causing the bubbles.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2006 15:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Sonic2041
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by sonic2041
thanks, but what do you mean by baffles.

nevermind i see what they are. i have 4 in there already but the last 2 are not held to the tank that well. if i fix these to the walls do you tink 4 will be enough. i don't have much room to add any more.

I added a foam block in front of the pumps this seems to help.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2006 16:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
If you can post a picture of your sump that would help.

The only other thing that would cause a lot of micro bubbles are tiny airholes in your plumbing seeping air into your pumps. I don't quite remember how to go about finding these, but I know there's a method. Do a google search on micro bubble to help you out.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2006 16:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Sonic2041
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
I decided to remove my sump and get a higher baffle for my second set. I added tubes that make my overflow lines go under the water level. This seemed to remove most of the bubbles. I am goning to try and cover the return on my skimmer because it is above the water level and causes turbulence.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2006 07:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies