L# Debating on starting with actual plants rather than just plastic
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDebating on starting with actual plants rather than just plastic
davyboy
Fingerling
Kudos: 27
Votes: 10
male canada ca-alberta
I've always had just plastic plants, but I've read more and more on the benefits of having live plants in ones tank. Now first of all, I don't want to have to put other types of substrate in my tank, nor have to worry about fertilizers and other such chemistry experiments in my tank.

I'm wondering if there is a way to put a live plant in something such as a small drinking glass with just regular aquarium gravel. If so what types of plants would be best with danio's, guppies, and swords (the main fish of my tanks)?

I want something that can provide a fair bit of hiding area, and allow for the danio's to lay eggs upon should it be desired of them (I also will have a slight marble layer under them so that the eggs can fall down and not be eaten, I know its not 100% but should they mate I want to give the babies a better chance).
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2011 17:06Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
What sort of substrate and light do you currently have?

You can use pots, but you might be just as well with Java Fern and/or Anubias. Neither needs to be planted, they aren't too fussy about fertilisers, and they only need low light.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2011 03:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
davyboy
Fingerling
Kudos: 27
Votes: 10
male canada ca-alberta
Well as of right now I've just got a basic gravel substrate, and I cannot find the type but it is a florescent tube of sorts. I wish I could be of more help, but was in minor accident recently and am currently on moderately strong pain killers which are proving to hinder my thinking abilities, so for now I bid you all a farewell...
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2011 17:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'm with Callatya, best first plants are java fern and
Anubias. Tied onto driftwood or rock or anything, they'll add some of the live plant benefit without any of the drawbacks. Since you've got fake plants they'll probably also anchor themselves to them as well!

Unless you've got a horrid substrate that you've already been thinking of swtiching out I wouldn't worry about it. Any waste that's already collected down in the substrate will be good for any root feeding plants that you'd pick, and switching that out means not only a mess in the tank but a lack of nutrients for the plants.

Fluorescent bulbs have a wattage based on length. If it's more than a year old you'll want to switch the bulb out for a fresh one. Look for 6700K and "daylight" in your local hardware store for the same sized bulb. Tons cheaper and just as effective for plants as the ones from your LFS. Be sure to dispose of the old bulb properly. Check yellow pages for floro bulb drop off locations near you.

Good luck with those pain killers .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2011 01:26Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I suggest you start with some easy plants, Hornwort was a great plant that I first started with... a floating plant that you can anchor (but not burry into the substrate). I also suggest some low light cryptocorynes.

If your gravel is something you aren't fond of, this is the time to replace it. If not just stick with it and like Babel said, it probably has some great waste for some plants to feed on.

Wait until you aren't so medicated to start working so you are happy with your decisions. Scout out what plants your fish stores keep stocked and/or research some easy to grow plants. Start out slow and easy and work your way up.

Good Luck on switching over to the greener side
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2011 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies