Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMoss Balls, do you keep them?
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
I just bought some Moss Balls, kinda neat looking, but now what?.. just what do I do with them..do they just sit on the bottom, can they be attached to something. Im thinking they would not be called balls if so..
they need currant to keep there shape and moving it by hand..
adds a different look.. anyone have any, share your pics if you have any..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 05:18Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I have several. they are in my 13 gallon bay front... I purchased many of them on the net from Singapore. they cannot be attached if they are legitimate Marimo balls. if they are not they are probably a balled up form of java, xmas or Taiwan moss. they do not need actual current top keep the shape although a good current wont hurt. you simply need to squeeze them out in tank water after a change and roll them up again... like cleaning out a delicate sponge... if they break or anything just roll the two or more pieces and over time they too will be spherical. My camera is not working ATM or you would have some pictures. They are great for shrimp or scavenger feeders because of the detrius and etc they hold. They are actually an algae from Japan that forms the balls, they are not a true moss although their name says otherwise. Not to fear they do not propagate quickly. chances are your ball is 10+ years old as they grow incredibly slow. cherish your marimo as they are rare, expensive, and beautiful... they need no true water specs so long as they are kept in relatively clean water. ENJOY!

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 09:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
..Ive done some research, they are the Marimo balls, Im goingto buy a whole wack off them when my 80gal is running. I ordered them in through my fish order, thought they would be a different pick for my customers, but are a tad expensive..about 12-13 bucks.. glad I didnt have to pay thet much..lol
My Sumo loach really likes it..My upsidedown cat have been over to investigate too..lol
interesting they are..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 17:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
I've read a few things im not too sure about.
One site stated that they keep their natural round shape due to current flow. This same site says that during they day they float (photosynthesis) and then sink at night - i have never seen this happening.
Also, ive heard that you can flatten them out and use them as a matt of algae/moss..
James
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2009 22:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
oh good.at my lfs i saw these but was skeptical to buy them because the worker made it out like they were basically mosses from dry land balled up and put into water, but apparently it is a real thing.plus i need a plant the oscar wont rip up.and that isnt messy like hornwart.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 19:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
hmmm my marimo float occaionally but only whn they dont get enough light. you can flatten them, but they would need to be turned over at least once a week as the bottom part will start to die off or go dormant... the balls are very interesting and very evolved... if you look on plantgeeks.net (i think thats the site) they will give more detailed information.

great plants!

Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 00:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
thanks all.. seems some do keep them.. for the high cost that they can be.
I like the look of them, just being different
Ive read as well that 3in ones can be up to 10 yrs old..Im hoping to inquire more soon, and would like to get a couple much, much bigger..
im going to watch for the floating of them, mine has been moved a couple of times in the few days..I think its my Upsidedown catfish thou.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 18:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I've been keeping Marimo "moss" balls for quite some time & I find them very good in breeding tanks, as they absorb all the quite a few "nasties" from the water, but I never saw them float. Occasionally I move them around (but the fish move them most)& they are very easy to take care of.

I think that your Oscar will rip or eat it, Cichlid Kid.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 11:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok thankyou jason.and what do you mean they help get all the nasties out of the water, as ihave a breeding tnak.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 19:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
male malta
They are said to be great for algae control, because they "outcompete" the algae by using the same nutrients & reduce the algae from your tank.

Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 20:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
would they be good in a livebearer breeding tank?
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 21:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
male malta
I keep them in nearly all my tanks. I have them with Corydoras & Livebearer fry. With fully grown Corydoras & with Angelfish. Even in the planted tanks I run & I can assure you that they're very very easy to keep.

Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 21:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I purchased a moss ball at a local LFS where I had never seen them. So, when I saw this beauty, I pounced! Mine sits at the bottom of my 55 just looking kool, lol. It's a perfect sphere, doesn't change or move at all. I am going to get some more for the other tanks, now that I hear they can help reduce the chances of some algaes and other mosses by using their specific nutrients!
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
I have heard of people using certain power head set ups to keep the moss balls afloat and rotating... its interesting for the fish to swim around and it helps keep the moss balls in their natural environment of the Japanese lakes with tide.

the movement is good for the plant and adds an interest point to the tank.

in case you didnt know already, Marimo balls (moss balls) are considered to be lucky and many house holds have large ones in jars. they cherish these and many are divided and given to children when they move out for marriage as a symbol of luck.

Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 07:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies