Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOutdoor Plants In Fishtanks
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
hey guyswhen i used to live at my old place,my freind who lived accros the road,well his mum,was a brillant green thumb,and she gave my mate a outdoor plant,and said to him,that this plant can survive totaly submerged in water,so after hering this we decided to put it in his mixxed african tank,and to be honest,it thrived,with nothing,no fertilzers,no food tabs,it didnt effect the water parameters,as we kept a eye on this,plus cuase it was a good thick stemed hardy plant.nothing in the tank,ate it or trashed it,so after this,i put some in my sa mixed tank,and same thing,i even wrapped it around some dw,but the parts a wrapped around did start to die,but when i freed it back up,and let it choose its own way,boom,away it went,it did do better in my tank,but i did have a powergrow light,have any of you guys ever herd of this,or done it yourself,ill tank a drive back around there this weekend to see what it was called....
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 05:14Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
bratyboy2
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 340
Votes: 1
male usa
well if you can post a picture that would be even better names mix things up alot and in the states its psobably something different. but i would love to know so i could maybe try it in mine
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 05:22Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Is it pothos? Pothos is a house plant, but aquarists have had success keeping it fully submerged.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i keep a house plant called pothos or devils ivy in my faux plaudarium tank.. it was just a stem and now it is thriving... i only have an incandescent and a *watt soft white bulb and it is doing great... wonder how well it would do if i have proper lighting...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 06:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah it was great stuff,very hardy too,if it was to be looked after,as a normall fishtank plant,it would grow huge,just from having a powergrow light on my tank,compared to my mates,the cutting i had,grew twice the size of hisoh and i also remember,you can just cut a bit off and plant it,yeah but it was great stuff,i think thats what i mite put in again with my sa,ca cichlidsalso another thing,i found it ancors itself really well,when i pulled my tank down when we moved,it had roots,rite underneath this pot thing,there was heaps of em,but im kicking myself now for chucking it when we moved
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2008 14:15Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
well, go to your local harware store (most carry plants) and look and see if you see it.. i am sure it is pothos you are talking about...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 04:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah that not a bad idea mate,ill take a trip up to bunnings,they have a huge plant section...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 05:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
devils ivy = pothos
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2008 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
mmmmm,been to bunnings and they didnt have it,but i still have not been to the plant place,a few suburbs over,so i will try and get there this week...
Post InfoPosted 27-Jan-2008 08:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies