Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePogostemon Helferi
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 1211
Votes: 196
male mexico
Hi guys! Long time no post, but i'm back! so are my poor tanks who have been neglected all these months. but starting all over again.

I just got this "new" plant from tropica, it's says is quite a easy plant to grow and will form a nice carpet. It IS a beautiful plant! but i planted it on my tank and it's not doing that great, in fact i think it's dieing.

Do any of you have any expirience withthis plant?
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 01:21Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 22-Dec-2006 02:26
This post has been deleted
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
here is a photo of the tank and some close ups of the plant

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 05:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 05:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 05:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bananacoladafuze
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 147
Votes: 19
female usa
Welcome back!

Your tank is beautiful. The fish and plants look really healthy.

Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 05:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Thanks bananacoladafuze Still working around a BBA problem as you can se, that infested even the gravel, but so far new and old prune plants are doing great, it's like watching the whole tank being reborn.

As for the Pogostemon.... it's being eaten! not dieing blame it on the bristle nose pleco or any of the plecos for that matter, so I guess I'll just have to look for an alternative plant, any suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2006 21:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
What size tank is it and how much light do you have? I can't suggest anything without that info. Your tank is really nice though. The plants look really healthy.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2006 07:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Hi Falstaf! Welcome back!

P. Helferi is a lovely plant, a little interesting species. A common name for it is downoi, which i think means "little star"

I don't think it's especially hard to take care of, with specific requirements, so I'd suggest doing wha tyou'd normally do for plants: keep CO2 up, make sure there's plenty of N, K and P to go around, and provide traces and micros.

If looking for an alternative, plecos and loaches make it tough, as you know. They make it hard to keep certain plants rooted.

Check out Blyxa japonica as an alternative. It's a stem plant that will usually stay low. It looks like blades of grass. It tends to be bouyant, but once it roots it stays down very well.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2006 23:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Thanks NowherMan6

I'll try to look for the specie you mention, it's true that botias and plecos make it harder but i really love them all, so i'll give it a try, in the meanwhile i saved some of the half eaten stems, and planted them on the betta tanks, i hope they do it there. I really loved the plant.

GirlieGirl8519:

It's a 50G tank, 2 40W Azoo Super light full spectrum strips, CO2 injection. Thanks for the compliments on the tank and plants, they are growing so fast now, i hope i can bring tank back to it's old glory.

Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2006 06:14Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
I do not have aquascaping down to a science like many of these folks, but from my experience with the plant, downoi is as easy as any to care for. They do tend to melt away given minimal micros, and stems can look fairly ragged and just downright ugly given inconsistent nutrient consumption. Other than that, they should be easy to maintain.
Post InfoPosted 26-Dec-2006 22:39Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Hey falstaf, welcome back. The tank is lookin' pretty nice there. I tried to use that website you had up with plant profiles awhile back, but it wasn't up....is it up again? I'd check I guess, but I'm not home.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 00:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Welcome back Falstaff

Downoi has been around for a couple years or more now.
Tropica lied !

It's similar to a crypt in that they can be an easy plant
but can melt for much of the same reasons.

It's a VERY nice plant to get, good luck with it

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 20:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 28-Dec-2006 21:41
This post has been deleted
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Hi Matty, thanks, its growing fine, and really quick, it's almost shamefull for it to be like that, but good thing is that it's getting back on track, hopefully in a couple of months it will be looking as it should.

The plant profiles where hosted in another site, and when it closed they where deleted, i still have all the profiles if you want then, I was thinking of makeing then here at FP again, they are so many! The only problem should be that not all the photos are originals, and i only wish i had all those plants, but maybe we all here can help with the photos, and do a great plant profile archive.

DaMossMan, I was thinking about the resemblance of Dawnoi, to crypts the other night, i had to move them to another tank, they where badlly eaten on the big one, now they are not looking that nice i hope they kick back soon, since i do really like them. It's not the first time tropica lies! LOL

Thanks for the welcomes!

Here is the betta tank where they are now

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 21:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
I used to go by DaFishMan in here, are you still keeping angelfish ? I was off the site for a bit too. Not posting much these days.

I'm wondering if the Downoi did a random melt (heard they do that), then it got nibbled on in it's weakened state. Judging by the good health and color (good job !) of your other plants I don't think anything is lacking.
Like a crypt, let it be and give it time to recover
I'd like to hear how it goes.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 23:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Hey! yes I remember now! How have you been? Same here being away for a long time.

Yes I still have them, recently the female angel died, hole in head disease, real tragedy because the male is all alone again and won't accept another angel in the tank, he has killed 2 females already, so I'm in the look for a full grown one now, but still I keep 2 pairs of their offspring, which are growing really fast and healthy.

That's a good theory, maybe they melted and I got all paranoid, I'll let them recover in the betta tank, and then give it one more try, I'll never had a crypt melt down yet, after all the time left uncared, they just stop growing and where attacked by BBA, I'm trying to return them to health now, but they are slow, at least mine.
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2006 01:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
I've been ok thanks

My tanks have been negelected for about 8 months. I lost my pair of silver angels. I'm sorry to hear you lost your female too Lucky you have some offspring

Maybe removing the male from the tank, change the territories a bit, put the new female in and get established, then putting the male back may help so that defending territory is not the first instinct that comes to it's mind. Angels mate for life but will take other mates if they lose theirs, so there is hope.

Downoi is similar too but more sensitive then crypts, and random melts aren't uncommon. I was after downoi at one point so researched heavily on the plant. Both are very slow at recovering but they will in your healthy tank

My 40g is a messy jungle right now but I'll post up a few pics tomorrow so you can take a peak. I'll probably be restocking with longfin albino bn plecos and maybe german blue rams once the ick has been gone for a month or so.
My 10 is emptied and will be redone too, prolly wood and moss. Not sure on the fish yet.

Nice talking to you again
Da

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2006 08:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies