SubscribeRe-did 29 gal
mikdavy2
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 224
Votes: 35
male usa
EditedEdited by mikdavy2
I began fish keeping with this tank, and when i started i went with all artificial structures and plants. i recently purcahsed some Drift wood, found some big boulders, and redesigned the tank:

current pics:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/IMG_3305.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/IMG_3300.jpg
side view:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/IMG_3304.jpg

As you can see it is not planted, and i really want it to be as natural as possible. I has low lighting and no co2, but i plan to get another light with a good spectrum for plants, and will add excell. If anyone has any suggestions for low light plants and where to position them that would be appreciated.

THANKS!

http://www.thousandfootkrutch.com
http://www.hawknelson.com
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 02:31Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
Being in the US I would trip down to Walmart because usually there plants are tagged, at least here they are in California. Lately my local place is stocking Giant hair grass which looks cool and is tall and gets along with lower light, also you can get bronze crypts there that do really well with the standard 24 inch bulb on the 29g tanks. After that you can get some Anubis mostly all of them will do well in lower light situations, and vals will also do well. Your kind of missing stem plants in that mix and I don't know of any good ones for lower light but that should get you started on an idea of what you can get. Oh, java moss for the wood and java ferns also are nice. There are a few rhizomes that will live directly on your drift wood that turn out looking awesome.

Have fun!
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 08:02Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
mikdavy2,

Looks like you got some nice hardscape in there (rocks and wood). Let me ask you a few questions, if you don't mind:

- Do I assume this right that you currently have only one 20W bubl in there?
- When you say you add another light, do you mean a second bulb with 20W or replace the existing one with a bulb that is more plant friendly?
- Any idea about the K value of the bulb(s)?

About the layout: The first thing I noticed is that you pretty much created a focus point right in the center of the tank(the gap between the woods). Although this can work, usually focus points in smaller tanks are offset a little from the middle. There is this "golden rule" that basically says that the focus should be positioned by dividing the length of the tank by 2.6 and then place the focus at the 1 (example: tank is 26" long, focus will be at 10" ). Just a thought.
Also, are you sure that your 2 wood/rock structures are sound?

About plants: I would say it depends on the light. You may be able to try some of the medium light plants, but it will depend on the answers to the questions above.

Have fun,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 12:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mikdavy2
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Yes, it is only a 20watt bulb. sad isnt it, but as i said it was my first tank, and it came in a kit.
Its possible that i might switch the current bulb, but i am pretty sure on adding another also.
I dont really know anything about the light, it came with the tank, and only tells the brand and wattage.
I agree that it is too "centered", but it was my dads idea for the placement, so i will probably change it after a few weeks.

-Is it true that u can attach some leaf plant to the wood? I thought i read somewhere that it was an anubias
I just added some small micro swords in the back left corner/also my dads idea.
What do you think of using plant bulbs compared to buying them when they have already grown some?

Thanks!

Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 02:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
microswords are more of an upfront kind of plant but I am not sure how it would look, if you can find some pictures maybe. About the bulbs there are two types on the market that you get at like petsmart and walmart one is the bulb for the red Lilly like thing I think its a lotus or something either way the other is a hybrid root bit and both require a lot of light. I had the hybrid root thing and it was a wretched plant that just messed in my tank worse them my fish. The others I have and they grow slow because of lack of light ferts CO2 etc.
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 10:13Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
mikdavy2,
but it was my dads idea for the placement, so i will probably change it after a few weeks
I guess that means that he is the sponsor of the tank or that you are a very nice person in general.

I would advise against waiting a few weeks with the re-arrangement. You would like to get your tank established and if you start messing with it again in a few weeks then this goal would be achieved much later.

microsword - I assume you mean a plant called Echinodorus Tenellus - will be hard to grow under only 20W, double will be sufficient for it. You can check out my 29G Log to see how it looks under 40W (later under 65W). I agree with mrwizerd, it is not a plant for the background of the tank.

Plant bulbs are ok, but depending on the plant you get they may take a while before anything happens. What you want right now is to get some plant mass established asap. How about adding some Java Fern and maybe tying some Java Moss on the wood? BTW, yes - Anubias can be tied to wood/rock as well, but you can also sit them on top of the gravel, as long as the thick root part (rhizome) is not in the substrate.

About the light: maybe you can convince your sponsor that a double light fixture over a glass top would make for a much better tank. Is it an All-Glass Aquarium tank?

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 12:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
It looks very much like an all glass aquarium especailly with that heater which looks very much like the one from walmart. If it is, I think you can swap that light fixture on top with a dual light fixture that you can get at petco or petmart. It will bring your wpg up high enough to grow some medium light plants and you will be much happier with the way your fish will look in your aquarium with the extra light.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 02:25Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mikdavy2
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by mikdavy2
Thank you for allthe information and suggestions! I will have the rearangment done asap, (I think my dad is beginning to agree with me that it could use a change.)
As for the lights, i saw some double light fixtures at my LFS and plan to look into them.
The tank is all glass, and actually i had to split the cost with my brothers, who no longer contribute with the cleaning or taking care of it.
I'm not sure what my dad was thinking, but he insisted that the micro sword go there. The plant actually came from a friend, and i only got a very small amount so i thought i'd try it and see if it is successful, but i dont think it is going to thrive with the lack of light and co2.
I will keep my eye out for java fern and java moss, my LFS' have a very poor supply of plants and are currently out.

LITTLE_FISH, thank you for the comment, i try to be as nice a person as possible, it makes my life run a lot smoother.

Thanks again for everything!

Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 04:16Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
You are welcome, mikdavy2

I try to be a nice person myself, but sometimes people (and I don't mean you or anyone else in particular) don't make it easy to be that way .

Glad your dad is coming around. About the light: A double fixture is nice and will give you sufficient options in plants. If you later want to go crazy about it you can even go ahead and purchase a Power Compact with 65W or even 130W, but for now 40W (2x20) will do well. A few things though:

a) a double fixture requires a glass top that has a wider middle area than the one that is designed for a single fixture. Fortunately, these sized glass tops are not all that expensive.
b) before you buy one from the LFS, find out how much the same unit would be on the web. My experience is that the markup in LFSs is rather steep and often a web purchase plus shipping is still cheaper than the local purchase.
c) just to make sure: you say "The tank is all glass", I asked you if it is an All-Glass tank. That is a brand and I wanted to know if you have that particular brand as I would know then exactly which fixture would fit well. Do you have this brand?

Your father may have wanted the Tenellus in the back because his vision is not a fully planted tank but more just plants in the back. Maybe you two should discuss your visions of the tank and compromise (if different) to avoid future "arguments".
Tenellus under 40W does not really need CO2 per say, it will do fine with frequent water changes (weekly - up to 50% of water) and maybe the addition of a product like Flourish Excel, a liquid that adds carbonates to the tank water.

Bummer you couldn't find any plants yet. Keep an eye open for Anubias Nana as well. 2 of these would make a nice midground section.

So, enough for now, hope this was helpful,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 11:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by mrwizerd
If that is in fact a 29 which I think you said it is, it should be thirty inches across the top. I just purchased some power compacts from here For 75 dollars you would get the light plus the blue LED's(for viewing your tank at night) plus a 12000k and Actinic Blue lamp and the stand that flips up. The Actinic Blue lamp needs to be replaced, I replaced it with a 12000k lamp I wanted a 6500 but they were out. It has two power cords so you can put your lights on a timer if you chose to in the future. I currently own two of them and two four foot ones. Aside from a little fan noise they are great and the fan noise can be fixed.

Oh and seriously you should check with walmart for plants they usually have a really good supply.
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 19:11Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mikdavy2
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Sorry about the misinterpretation, Im not sure about the brand, but it is 30" long, 18" high and 13" or so deep. I placed the micro sword towards the front, and we did do some minor adjustments which in my opinion look as if nothing changed but anyway I also added some left over tetras and a pleco, but i need more.

Here it is:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/IMG_3311.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/IMG_3314.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/IMG_3326.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/aquapickle27/IMG_3327.jpg

Sorry, there not very clear, but i think you get the idea.

Mr wizerd, thanks for the suggestion i might look into that in the future, but for now i just want a cheap hood that holds two lights so that i can begin experimenting with live plants.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 03:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
mikdavy2,

In the last picture it looks like the fishies were posing for the picture

Yeah, you really need more plants, now that I saw some detail I have a better idea of what you meant with a "few" tenellus.

About the light: I assume your top rim has a ledge on the inner sides where the glass sits on, right? Measure these dimensions, so when you are going (if you are) to get a new glass top to fit the double fixture then you can compare the dimensions. Things would have been a little easier if you would have known that you have an All-Glass tank as they make tops that fit their tanks and have them for double fixtures (also from All-Glass) as well.

Getting a new light should probably be your main focus now as new plants may depend on it.

And btw, I thing the wood on the right has a very nice shape.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2006 12:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Well wait were did you buy it? and when you bought it was it a kit?
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2006 01:52Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Mike,

I can give you some java moss sometime... I've got a whole bunch of it, and I don't know what to do with it all!

I've only got one java fern right now tho, and it's not that big... maybe when it gets bigger and I can split it a few times, I might be able to give you some of it... will have to see, tho...

I can give ya some other plants that you can put in there too, like duckweed, nitella graclilis (it's high light, but you can float it on the surface of the water, and it does alright), 'african fern', and some others...

Let me know if I can be of any assistance

-Scott
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2006 08:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mikdavy2
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Little_fish,

That was a lucky shot, but i didnt have much time so i couldnt focus very well.

I decided to just get rid of the tenellus, they were beginning to turn brown.

yes it does have a rim that supports the hood. I will measure it up as detailed as i can, before i purchase anything.

i am working on the light, and suggested some ideas to my dad to see if he'll let me.

Thanks for the compliment!

Mr Wizerd,

I bought the kit at wal-mart, and the hang-on heater, hood, tank, and filter came in a box, the heater broke so i replaced it with a submersible.

Scott,

That would be very generous if you would be willing to give me some plants to start with. I dont want to take anything if you dont want to part with it, but if you need to get rid of it, it would be accepted.

PS: I have a red veiltail betta that i have lost interest in, i was planning to try breeding, but my parents didnt allow it. without coming in contact with a female, it made a pretty big bubble nest, about 2 square in. so if you were looking to breed bettas it might be a good one to try. if your interested in having him i would be glad to give him to you.

Thanks again for the offer!

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 01:48Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
(I gave Mike the java moss and nitella gracilis this afternoon for his b-day )

How they doin'?

And naw, I don't need any bettas... I don't have enough space for all of my fish as it is, I don't need any more... but thanks for the offer
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
male usa
Defenantly an All-Glass Aquarium they are the ones that are sold in those kits.

I have some Vals that I could spare if you would like them, happy birthday and all.
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 04:18Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Mike,

Happy belated birthday

Did you get any tank equipment as presents?

Either way, I find it very nice from the previous posters to offer/send you some plants.

Have fun,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 11:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
Ingo, his b-day's next Wed, but watev

Now that I think of it, I've got some more plants I could give ya, Mike--a half dead banana plant (cichlids decided to build a cave where I had it planted ), and some random fern that I don't have an ID on that the cichlids keep digging up

I should have thought of those earlier, but you can have them and put 'em in rehab so they might have a chance to keep living...

Let me know if ya want 'em
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 19:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
PoisonWaffle,

Oh, how silly of me

I simply assumed that "Birthday: 04-Apr" in his profile meant yesterday

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 19:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies