mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I'm starting to become very frustrated. After lights on today I saw my rainfordi's goby looked like he got plastered last night and walked down the wrong alley. Fins torn, loss of color, dragging himself along the tank bottom. I have less hope for him than my coral, which is still hanging in there.

On the bright side, I also found an XXL hairy-leg rock crab swaggering out of a cave looking like he was going to go finish the job, until it saw me. This guy was huge, bigger than silver dollar size. This time however, it wasn't in a place where I could get him out. So instead I backed him into a hole and sealed him in with the holdfast epoxy stuff.

If this isn't the last crab/menace to society, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't want to replace fish and corals to feed Brutus the tank eating crab.

[/rant]

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 22:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
is that going to cause a spike in the water when he dies because hes stuck in there?

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 01:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'm hoping it won't be bad. It is sealed up pretty good, so if there is ammonia I'm hoping it will seep out slowly, and the filtration will be able to handle it easily. That's my hopes anyways. I didn't see any other way to stop him from killing my other fish and corals, so it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 02:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bencoastie
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 85
Votes: 1
male usa
That is a less time consuming idea than what I would have done. I have a tendancy to lie in wait with a long, sharp, barbed spike whe I find nasty hitchhikers in my 55 gal reef. It works VERY well and there is no doubt the menace you saw was removed when you get it.
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 07:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I have a tendancy to lie in wait with a long, sharp, barbed spike

Where did you get one of these?

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 17:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
You sealed it in? That almost makes me feel sorry for the crab. What type is it, a stone crab or something like that? They're nasty critters, good thing you discovered it.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 22:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You sealed it in? That almost makes me feel sorry for the crab. What type is it, a stone crab or something like that? They're nasty critters, good thing you discovered it.

You'd feel more sorry for my rainford's if I could get a picture of it. I think he's going to make it, though. He's actually out and sifting through the gravel for goodies like he normally does, but he's really skittish. One of his pectoral fins is nearly gone, and his caudal has a few tears in it. Also, he's still really pale, and looks like he's got some superficial scrapes along his body.

And yeah, it's a stone or rock crab. It was brownish, because I only saw it after it moved, and really hairy. Honestly I don't like to just kill things, but since he backed into a hole and I couldn't get him out to toss in the crab bin with the other two, I did the only thing I could.

Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 05:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies