OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
I currently have a both an empty 29 gallon and a 20 gallon long tank. I'm considering setting this up as a reef tank system with the 20 gallon being the sump. My first question is concerning the lighting and was wondering if this light would be sufficient or would any of you have a different recommendation.

http://www.hellolights.com/302xcoaqpcho.html

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 04:38Profile PM Edit Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
What kinds of corals are you planning on keeping?

If you are planning on keeping soft corals then the light would work very well...You could also get by with keeping some of the lower light LPS corals at the top.

Also just a FYI in case you didnt know..Power compact bulbs need to be replaced every 6-8 months due to spectrum shift.
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 05:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Thanks, DRO. What would be your suggestion for some of the higher light corals. Would I need to go to a metal halide type, or would just utilizing two of the previous mentioned model be sufficient?

I'm obviously new to the dark side and I'm really just beginning to understand a lot of the specialty requirements so I have a lot of learning to do.

As to the types of corals wanted, I really don't know...I purchased "Reef Invertebrates" by Calfo & Fenner, but I haven't been able to spend too much time yet getting into it, so my knowledge of the types of corals available is very limited at this point.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 05:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
If you want to go with SPS, then I would probably go with a single 175w or a 150w MH. If you just want to go with LPS then my preferance would be VHO. I like the way VHO looks (color) better than PC bulbs, and the VHO bulbs last longer with an average lifespan of 12 months.

Reef Inverts is an excellent book..you are on the right track
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2006 02:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies