SubscribeMixing Live Rock?
gisxprt
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
male usa
Happy Holidays!

I was just wondering if its okay to mix Live Rock with other rocks? There are some flat rocks i picked up at a nearby lake that i'm interested in adding to with the LR.

I'm a noob when it comes salt water aquariums, but not with fresh water aquariums. I've been doing alot of reading / researching / and lurking to get myself comfortable in starting on a reef tank.

Thank you in advance for you help and more questions will be on the way

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
The lake rocks should be okay as long as there's no chance of bringing pollutants or nasty hitchhikers into your tank. Those rocks may not help to buffer the pH or hardness, and may not provide much of a home for beneficial bacteria (depending on the rocks' porousness), but I think they should be safe to keep. Again, just be sure that they won't be harmful to aquatic life.

Welcome to the site.

Last edited by sirbooks at 28-Dec-2005 13:20

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
I wouldnt do it personally. go to your LFS and get some good porous base rock (will be very cheap) and it will turn into "live rock" given enough time. if the rock you have isnt porous it wont do much help in filteration.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies