FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Reef Keeping
  L# New tank in process of being built!
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew tank in process of being built!
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Note the size of some of the clarks anenomefish.

I guess it's hard to tell by the picture. >.<

There's lots of pink skunks in there too.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
that your kiss might kill me.
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
People think my 72 is big. I've found out it's cooler to say "I have a 100 gallon system" as opposed to "I have a 72 gallon tank." I think my tank is a nice size, but by no means is it BIG. I consider 180 a big tank, and anything after that. But still, compared to what others have, it's so small! I just can't get Joe's tank out of my head. Have you ever seen Daniel Knopps? His is big too. I can't remember the gallonage...but yeah.

72 is a decent sized tank.....not small by any means. I use to think the same thing about my 180. Then about 4 months after having it up and running I was like "hey this isnt as big as I remember it". Ill probably think the same thing with the 300 though....

And one more time! I can't move the tank by myself. >.<

awwww, come on.....flex them muscles

Yup. Everytime I look into Joe's tank I see something new. It's crazy...no matter how many times I look at it I ALWAYS find something different. If you're ever over here make sure you pay a visit to him, it's well worth it.

It would be nice to be able to take a vacation....Ill have to stop and check it out if I ever get over that way. Ive seen plenty of pictures, but we both know pictures dont normally do corals justice.

Haha, I will make you the crown when I have SPS in my tank. No breaking Del!!!

Promise? Ill remember that and even if it takes me years to get it I wont let you forget

Oh. *didn't know it was a secret*

Welllll, its not now Thats ok, its been a fun 3 years packed full of good and bad experiences. Im just hoping that the bad expeiences are done.......only good things lie in wait now (I hope ) I have to admit that I hae learned a LOT in the past year though. Its amazing how much you can continue to learn about this hobby. Starting to keep mainly all SPS a year ago really sparked my interest again.

Good. Works for me. Gotta keep everyone active and posting.

*looks around* I havent really seen anyone other than us post anything. Oh well, we need to keep practicing.

Gotcha. So can you like, make posts? Or does it take ages?

Most posts dont take that long on it....of course it would take me an hour or better on a post like this

Merph. >.< At this rate, my tank wont even be up by then. Surprise? As in what you showed me in chat?

Yup, thats what it WAS It was sold already. I did some more looking and I found another one just like it Im gonna call Serdar and see if he found another one and if not Im gonna order from the other place tomorrow afternoon

Your tank is going faster than mine is.

Hmm, not too pricey either! Nice nice...I think it's going to be the pH one that's expensive. *hides* I'll pick one of those when I feel like it, honestly I like the first one you linked to the best.

The first ones I linked are the ones that I use, and the ones that I ordered in for store use when I was working at the LFS. They work great, and they are accurate.

As far as the PH one....it depends on what you want to get. If you get to the point of running a calcium reactor then I would get a PH computer to make things easier. As for a PH monitor...they really are not that bad considering prices on other things in the hobby.

The one Im getting next is the new Calcium monitor. Gotta keep on top of the toys and make life easier at the same time

[hr width='40%']
Your brown hair and your beautiful eyes
Just send chills down my spine.
The sight of you makes me weak.
My hands shiver, and I cannot speak.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
You posted short this time. How did things go with picking up the sand (again) and bringing the puppy home?

72 is a decent sized tank.....not small by any means. I use to think the same thing about my 180. Then about 4 months after having it up and running I was like "hey this isnt as big as I remember it". Ill probably think the same thing with the 300 though....

That's already happening to me. When we first brought the tank home, my dad was like "Oh my god...what did we get ourselves into?" But now that it's been here, I keep thinking how on earth am I going to fit everything I want in there...there just isn't much room. If I want a nice rockscape, plus clams rics and zoas on the sand...it just doesn't seem like it'll fit! I guess it'll take some playing, but I've seen people accomplish crazy things in small small tanks...so I'm sure it'll work out. Right?

awwww, come on.....flex them muscles!

Really I tried! The tank is just too heavy with all that water in it...the tank itself weighs more than me, and then there's like 100 gallons of water...not to mention all the pumps and other equipment. Therefore, *reminds self again.* Wait...what exactly am I supposed to be reminding myself of...?

It would be nice to be able to take a vacation....Ill have to stop and check it out if I ever get over that way. Ive seen plenty of pictures, but we both know pictures dont normally do corals justice.

If you're ever out this way I strongly suggest making it a must see. There's a couple of aquariums in this area, there's one in Mystic, and then there's the New York Aquarium, on top of Atlantis Marine World. Then there's the Baltimore Aquarium, and a couple others. Atlantis wins though b/c it has the biggest reef. It's really cool seeing their big truck pull water from the bay to use in their systems. They use 100% NSW, with that many tanks you dont really have another option. The skimmers are so big you cant even imagine. I think it's worth going just to see the reef display, but the anenome tank is neat too, as well as the RBP (even though I dont like those) and the shark tank of course. The shark tank has a BIG moray, reef sharks, lots of full grown Jacks (aren't they so cool as juvies?) and lots of rays, a big seaturtle, and a nurse shark. There's probably more...

You would absolutely love seeing his reef tank though. Besides the fact that he's got anenomes in it...there's the biggest acro colonies ever, and gorgeous anthias. Ohhh makes me want to go back so badly, you just dont get sick of that tank!

Promise? Ill remember that and even if it takes me years to get it I wont let you forget

When my tank is up and plumbed I'll play with the extra parts one day and make you a crown. Fair?

Welllll, its not now Thats ok, its been a fun 3 years packed full of good and bad experiences. Im just hoping that the bad expeiences are done.......only good things lie in wait now (I hope ) I have to admit that I hae learned a LOT in the past year though. Its amazing how much you can continue to learn about this hobby. Starting to keep mainly all SPS a year ago really sparked my interest again.

Oh shush! Nobody else is reading this thread anyway, so it's not like anyone else found out. If you cared that much you'd edit it out anyway. SPS is a whole different topic to learn about...their care tends to be so much different from LPS and softies that you're forced to learn more. I'm learning like crazy, and I still consider myself a beginner b/c I have practically no experience. When you're surrounded by people who know so much more than you you just feel inferior. At work, I'm the smarty pants...but anywhere else I'm not.

*looks around* I havent really seen anyone other than us post anything. Oh well, we need to keep practicing.

Yeahhhh that's true. Cally called our threads "conferences." If more people would just be smart and come to the dark side, then we wouldn't be the only ones talking. Sheesh people...it's almost the same...just add salt. Errr...I take that back. Add salt and plant some money trees. And THEN it's the same. Really.

Most posts dont take that long on it....of course it would take me an hour or better on a post like this

Lol, this is one very informative thread, I wonder how long we'll keep it going for. When you start posting pictures of the actual tank (when you get it) then we might need to start over, so that others actually look at it.

Yup, thats what it WAS It was sold already. I did some more looking and I found another one just like it Im gonna call Serdar and see if he found another one and if not Im gonna order from the other place tomorrow afternoon

Ugg. That's no fair...I bet if you tell Serdar to keep a look out for frags like that he will; is Phishy Business where you got the original L. spp anyway?

By the way...any updates on her? She pulling through? *fingers still crossed* I've been worried. >.<

Your tank is going faster than mine is.

Haha...for now. We'll see if things stay that way! Once you get your tank things will move very quickly I'm sure. Dont forget how long I had my tank w/o anything but dust bunnies and finger prints. Keep your chin up!

The first ones I linked are the ones that I use, and the ones that I ordered in for store use when I was working at the LFS. They work great, and they are accurate.

Well, isn't that all that matters? I'll order one when I decide to splurge on my lights...and if I dont get a free t-shirt I'm going to cry. C'mon, in the past couple weeks I've spent hundreds there...maybe even thousands. I think I deserve my t-shirt now!!!

Speaking of lights...I was going to go with the dual 250 watt halides just so things would come along faster...but now a part of me just says wait and get the T5's. Ugg...it's more time but I think it'll make me happier in the long run, dont you? Plus there's not really THAT much of a price difference when you look at it...Why is everything in this hobby so friggen expensive. *whines*

As far as the PH one....it depends on what you want to get. If you get to the point of running a calcium reactor then I would get a PH computer to make things easier. As for a PH monitor...they really are not that bad considering prices on other things in the hobby.

I dont really know what I want to get, I just feel that the test kits wont be as accurate as I want them to be. I'm feeling like I'll probably end up switching all my kits to Salifert once I'm done cycling...especially when I start with my first SPS frags. I just dont think I trust Tetra enough for them. Calcium is the only reef kit I have...what other ones am I going to end up with? Might as well put them on the MD order...

The one Im getting next is the new Calcium monitor. Gotta keep on top of the toys and make life easier at the same time

Ohhh...sounds fun. Got a link? Something tells me all these gadgets will have to wait until college is over...there's just no room in the budget for them. At NERAC Anthony was showing us all these cool toys, special microscope type thingies that go right up against the glass of your tank, even these wacky night vision goggles that let you see the neon colors of the cnidarians. It was pretty cool, completely uneccesary of course, but cool none the less! That guy never ceases to amaze me. I dont know how he does it. Somebody called me the future female Calfo the other day...I'm not sure how to take that.

Hmmm...last night when I was trying to fall asleep before that stupid test I did draw pictures like I said I would. I think I have to scan them in and post them...I've got two cool ones to share. Actually...three I think. One's an old one that I never posted...*wonders how to work the scanner*

Hey Nate...? It's your turn to post again.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
You posted short this time. How did things go with picking up the sand (again) and bringing the puppy home?

The sand pick ups went well...talk about the most nasty smell in the world though. Im gonna have to spread the sand out on a tarp and let it dry out before sticking it in the tank.

The puppy was safely returned to its owners. They were so happy that he didnt get hurt and that someone who cared picked him up and called them.

That's already happening to me. When we first brought the tank home, my dad was like "Oh my god...what did we get ourselves into?" But now that it's been here, I keep thinking how on earth am I going to fit everything I want in there...there just isn't much room. If I want a nice rockscape, plus clams rics and zoas on the sand...it just doesn't seem like it'll fit! I guess it'll take some playing, but I've seen people accomplish crazy things in small small tanks...so I'm sure it'll work out. Right?

Unfortunately that is reality...we always want what we cant have. You will always want a bigger and better tank, thats just the way it works Im sure you will fit everything in there that you want....well ok, not everything but that is a good thing. It makes you really think about what you want instead of just settling for something. It will all work out....you tank is still a decent size. Im sure you will be happy with it and will figure out a way to make it work.

Really I tried! The tank is just too heavy with all that water in it...the tank itself weighs more than me, and then there's like 100 gallons of water...not to mention all the pumps and other equipment. Therefore, *reminds self again.* Wait...what exactly am I supposed to be reminding myself of...?

ummmm, remember to see if the return pump is going wide open, and same with the returns.

If you're ever out this way I strongly suggest making it a must see. There's a couple of aquariums in this area, there's one in Mystic, and then there's the New York Aquarium, on top of Atlantis Marine World. Then there's the Baltimore Aquarium, and a couple others.

You will have to keep taking pictures when you go to see them.....I doubt I will ever make it there to see them in person though.

When my tank is up and plumbed I'll play with the extra parts one day and make you a crown. Fair?

Works for me...no hurry.

When you're surrounded by people who know so much more than you you just feel inferior. At work, I'm the smarty pants...but anywhere else I'm not.

Not entirely true....you are a "smarty pants" here too....have you went back and read any of your posts, and what about your article?

Lol, this is one very informative thread, I wonder how long we'll keep it going for.

hard to say really.....I think it depends on if we throw some questions and stuff into it or just keep it a conf.

When you start posting pictures of the actual tank (when you get it) then we might need to start over, so that others actually look at it.

I will do that....but its not a matter of when, its a matter of if...I just dont know if I can do it. I checked things tonight and its a total loss....all sps are gone.

is Phishy Business where you got the original L. spp anyway?

Yup, I got the original from Serdar probably 8 months ago. I ordered with Kip and sent Serdar $300 and told him to suprise me with whatever he wanted to send.

By the way...any updates on her? She pulling through? *fingers still crossed* I've been worried. >.<

Im afraid shes gone for good....went to check tonight and there def. isnt any tissue left.

Haha...for now. We'll see if things stay that way! Once you get your tank things will move very quickly I'm sure. Dont forget how long I had my tank w/o anything but dust bunnies and finger prints. Keep your chin up!

Finger Prints and writing.....I remember. Im glad your tank is going well and is getting close to having SW in it. Chin is up only 5% of the time...having a hard time keeping it up anymore than that.

Speaking of lights...I was going to go with the dual 250 watt halides just so things would come along faster...but now a part of me just says wait and get the T5's. Ugg...it's more time but I think it'll make me happier in the long run, dont you? Plus there's not really THAT much of a price difference when you look at it...Why is everything in this hobby so friggen expensive. *whines*

You already know what I will say to that.....buy what you want the first time instead of having to spend more money later to get it because you werent happy on what you settled on. You are correct....the price difference isnt that much, especially considering its what you want.

I dont really know what I want to get, I just feel that the test kits wont be as accurate as I want them to be. I'm feeling like I'll probably end up switching all my kits to Salifert once I'm done cycling...especially when I start with my first SPS frags. I just dont think I trust Tetra enough for them. Calcium is the only reef kit I have...what other ones am I going to end up with? Might as well put them on the MD order...

The main test kits that you will need are Calcium, alkalinity/dkh, Ph, Nitrate, and magnesium if you want. I honestly dont have test kits for anything but calcium, dkh, and magnesium.

Ohhh...sounds fun. Got a link?

Its pretty new, so ive been waiting for people to use it for awhile to see how it holds up.

[link=Calcium monitor]http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AM1121" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]

At NERAC Anthony was showing us all these cool toys, special microscope type thingies that go right up against the glass of your tank, even these wacky night vision goggles that let you see the neon colors of the cnidarians.

He brought his Mesoscope to the meeting with him...When I was over there for breakfast I tinkered around with it quite a bit. Its a very cool piece of equipment.

Somebody called me the future female Calfo the other day...I'm not sure how to take that.

*shrugs* dont know....guess it depends on how you feel about that.

Hmmm...last night when I was trying to fall asleep before that stupid test I did draw pictures like I said I would. I think I have to scan them in and post them...I've got two cool ones to share. Actually...three I think. One's an old one that I never posted...*wonders how to work the scanner*

I wrote some and posted a lot of my writings to my blog so I didnt lose them in the move. Look forward to seeing the pictures.....Im sure someone can show you how to use the scanner.

Hey Nate...? It's your turn to post again

Not anymore its not.

[hr width='40%']
The way we were
The chance to save my soul
And my concern is now in vain
Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
She's...gone...?

integra_for_life
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 29
Votes: 0
male usa
Nice cant wait to se pics,
Please stop quetiong each other
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
She's...gone...?

She is. I found a replacement (from atlantisaquarium.net) and placed an order for it. It should be here this week, depending on when Cris wants to recieve the order for me.

Nice cant wait to se pics,

Ill post them as soon as the project gets underway...whenever that may be.

Please stop quetiong each other

Does it hurt anything?

[hr width='40%']
The way we were
Believe the word
I will unlock my door

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
You can't replace her...

It doesn't work that way.

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I know I cant replace her...nothing can replace her.

I just ordered the new coral as a "replacement" because it is so close to what the other one was.

Im still hoping that I can get frags back of the original and place them in the new tank, when/if it gets built.

[hr width='40%']
The way we were
Believe the word
I will unlock my door
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
*bump*

I'll post soon really I will.

So busy.

Just wanted to say I didn't forget.

It's hard to get back into this thread...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

GuessWho
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male southafrica
Hi DRO

Where can I get a summary and sketch of a refugium setup? I am busy with a new 1.2m setup, and the sump is 1m 3 chambers, I was hoping to change it to 4 chambers and include a refugium chamber as well.

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
*takes deep breath*

The puppy was safely returned to its owners. They were so happy that he didnt get hurt and that someone who cared picked him up and called them.

Yay. Pix?

Unfortunately that is reality...we always want what we cant have. You will always want a bigger and better tank, thats just the way it works Im sure you will fit everything in there that you want....well ok, not everything but that is a good thing. It makes you really think about what you want instead of just settling for something. It will all work out....you tank is still a decent size. Im sure you will be happy with it and will figure out a way to make it work.

Yeah. I have the biggest tank for my age in the club. It's fun telling people that I have a 100 gallon system, they give me a look like "That must be bigger than you!" Everyone in our club feels inferior with tank size because of Joe. I mean c'mon, when the head of your reef club has a fish tank bigger than your kitchen, it's hard to be satisfied with the size of your own.

ummmm, remember to see if the return pump is going wide open, and same with the returns.

Oh yeah...I thought I had to measure something? Well when we pick up salt later today/tomorrow, we'll be playing around so I'll take a peek for you.

You will have to keep taking pictures when you go to see them.....I doubt I will ever make it there to see them in person though.

But of course. Camera is attatched to my hand when visiting aquariums. I think next months reef meeting is Family Fun Day at Atlantis, where club members get in free. I'll concentrate on getting some good pix of the reef tank this time. Any other requests? And dont say never Nate...if I know you, when things begin to come together you'll take a little road trip (or two or three!) with Kip.

Works for me...no hurry.

Sweet. *wonders what she's gotten herself into*

Not entirely true....you are a "smarty pants" here too....have you went back and read any of your posts, and what about your article?

No. Errr...no. The guys from the club liked my article though, and I recieved offers on free frags as a reward for a job well done (to be validated when my tank is ready of course). You're the smarty pants here...I just sorta tag along. Also, I love cracking open a book that I know has info on the topic, even if I'm sketchy about it. Posting helps me learn, and helps me remember things that otherwise I would not have had a reason to look up.

hard to say really.....I think it depends on if we throw some questions and stuff into it or just keep it a conf.

Mehh...I've thrown in a couple of random questions here and there. I've got one about reverse photoperiod sumps when you're ready!

I will do that....but its not a matter of when, its a matter of if...I just dont know if I can do it. I checked things tonight and its a total loss....all sps are gone.

This is sort of old new by now, but I know you can do it. You know you wont last more than a couple of months without a tank. You know how upsetting it'll be when I ask to see pictures of this and that and you cant show me, because you decided not to put a tank up. Without a tank to take pictures of, many things in the future you may have to describe to me will be harder to understand. I think I was looking forward to this tank just as much, if not more than you! Should I stop my stocking list, and find another reefer to give it to? Is the true and original SPS freak on fishprofiles not going to have a reef tank? Say it isn't so...keep your chin up Nate, you can do it. I know you can.

Yup, I got the original from Serdar probably 8 months ago. I ordered with Kip and sent Serdar $300 and told him to suprise me with whatever he wanted to send.

Methinks you need to stop spending money on corals and start putting some towards tank construction.

Im afraid shes gone for good....went to check tonight and there def. isnt any tissue left.

RIP little L. spp, I hope Lee is up there looking at you, and admiring your beauty the way we once did...

Finger Prints and writing.....I remember. Im glad your tank is going well and is getting close to having SW in it. Chin is up only 5% of the time...having a hard time keeping it up anymore than that.

Well well, no more finger prints and writing messages, because we've got a DSB in there now! I hope progress on my tank cheers you up the way progress on yours cheers me up. *points and chants* I have a DSB...I have a DSB...

You already know what I will say to that.....buy what you want the first time instead of having to spend more money later to get it because you werent happy on what you settled on. You are correct....the price difference isnt that much, especially considering its what you want.

Yepp..."the boys" keep asking if I've decided on lighting yet, and I keep saying I'm just going to go with my gut. Hopefully if I ever have a problem with it the AM guys will be able to help me out in a pinch. And worst comes to worst, SOMEBODY in the club will have a spare light that could be used if my fixture ever crashed. Or corals could be moved temporarily. I'm not worried about it---I dont know why everyone else is making such a big deal.

The main test kits that you will need are Calcium, alkalinity/dkh, Ph, Nitrate, and magnesium if you want. I honestly dont have test kits for anything but calcium, dkh, and magnesium.

Magnesium is the only one I dont have, I'll throw that in on the next MD order. (WITH MY FREE T-SHIRT!!! ) I think the test kits are really only important for cycling and keeping an eye on params then.

Its pretty new, so ive been waiting for people to use it for awhile to see how it holds up.

Ohhh fancy! Lemme know how it works out. Know anyone whos got it yet? Looks like a stocking stuffer to me.

He brought his Mesoscope to the meeting with him...When I was over there for breakfast I tinkered around with it quite a bit. Its a very cool piece of equipment.

Ohhh yes I think he had one of those in pictures or something. Very cool toy, seems pretty unnecessary but neat.

*shrugs* dont know....guess it depends on how you feel about that.

Hmm. Well, I think I'm going to take it as a compliment, because Calfo is very smart and sought after for his advice and care much of the time. He's the reefers idol, so, I guess it's neat that someone thinks I actually have the potential to be as gifted as he.

I wrote some and posted a lot of my writings to my blog so I didnt lose them in the move. Look forward to seeing the pictures.....Im sure someone can show you how to use the scanner.

Ohhhh yes! I have several to share; everyday I see them on my desk and think "I have to learn to use the scanner" but I keep forgetting. I WILL get it done this weekend though, we have Monday off from school so that gives me extra time.

Not anymore its not.

Think again buddy.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut
My weakness is that I care too much
And my scars remind me that the past is real
I tear my heart open just to feel
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Yay. Pix?

I completely forgot to take pics of the little guy. I was too busy having fun feeding him french fries

Yeah. I have the biggest tank for my age in the club. It's fun telling people that I have a 100 gallon system, they give me a look like "That must be bigger than you!" Everyone in our club feels inferior with tank size because of Joe. I mean c'mon, when the head of your reef club has a fish tank bigger than your kitchen, it's hard to be satisfied with the size of your own

Very true, but if you are happy with what you have(is that possible? ) then thats all that matters. Atleast you have a tank......Im missing mine big time.

Oh yeah...I thought I had to measure something? Well when we pick up salt later today/tomorrow, we'll be playing around so I'll take a peek for you.

Works for me....maybe we can get your overflows to quiet down a bit by making some adjustments

But of course. Camera is attatched to my hand when visiting aquariums. I think next months reef meeting is Family Fun Day at Atlantis, where club members get in free. I'll concentrate on getting some good pix of the reef tank this time. Any other requests? And dont say never Nate...if I know you, when things begin to come together you'll take a little road trip (or two or three!) with Kip.

I highly doubt Ill make it out that way....to much work and not enough time to take a trip, and really no reason to go. Im going to have a hard enough time trying to make it to MACNA this year. Ive been working almost a double work week between going in early to work and the side jobs just trying to get some money saved up. The only way I can guarantee that I go to MACNA is to not set up the tank.

hmmmmm, picture requests.....do you really have to ask?

Sweet. *wonders what she's gotten herself into*

*shrugs* Dont know....guess you will find out in time

No. Errr...no. The guys from the club liked my article though, and I recieved offers on free frags as a reward for a job well done (to be validated when my tank is ready of course). You're the smarty pants here...I just sorta tag along. Also, I love cracking open a book that I know has info on the topic, even if I'm sketchy about it. Posting helps me learn, and helps me remember things that otherwise I would not have had a reason to look up

Nah, you are the new smarty pants....you post more than I do

Im very impressed with how you threw yourself into this side of the hobby and how much you have absorbed already! Keep it up

Mehh...I've thrown in a couple of random questions here and there. I've got one about reverse photoperiod sumps when you're ready!

Im ready whenever you are

This is sort of old new by now, but I know you can do it. You know you wont last more than a couple of months without a tank. You know how upsetting it'll be when I ask to see pictures of this and that and you cant show me, because you decided not to put a tank up. Without a tank to take pictures of, many things in the future you may have to describe to me will be harder to understand. I think I was looking forward to this tank just as much, if not more than you! Should I stop my stocking list, and find another reefer to give it to? Is the true and original SPS freak on fishprofiles not going to have a reef tank? Say it isn't so...keep your chin up Nate, you can do it. I know you can.

Its actually getting to the point that if I dont do something with a tank then I probably wont set one up. I hate not having the funding to do what I want to do

NO, DO NOT STOP THE STOCKING LIST AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO GIVE IT TOO! Speaking of stocking lists.....Im sooooo sorry that I havent had time to work on yours and get it finished up so I can post it

Im trying to keep my chin up....sometimes its just hard to do though. Im going through one of those times where it seems like nothing I really want is going to happen. Im losing hope on almost everything and I cant stop it.

Methinks you need to stop spending money on corals and start putting some towards tank construction

Hey! I havent bought any corals this week! I did go to HD and spend $100 on 2X4's for the stand though

RIP little L. spp, I hope Lee is up there looking at you, and admiring your beauty the way we once did...

Nothing like making me cry when I read that! Im sure he is taking care of her for me till I get there.

Well well, no more finger prints and writing messages, because we've got a DSB in there now! I hope progress on my tank cheers you up the way progress on yours cheers me up. *points and chants* I have a DSB...I have a DSB...

You could write messages in the DSB Progress on your tank is all that I have right now.....cause Im sure not making any progress on mine

Yepp..."the boys" keep asking if I've decided on lighting yet, and I keep saying I'm just going to go with my gut. Hopefully if I ever have a problem with it the AM guys will be able to help me out in a pinch. And worst comes to worst, SOMEBODY in the club will have a spare light that could be used if my fixture ever crashed. Or corals could be moved temporarily. I'm not worried about it---I dont know why everyone else is making such a big deal.

I dont see you having a problem with it...even if you do, Im sure you could find an Aquamedic dealer if you thought about it hard enough I think they could get you the parts you need pretty fast.

Ohhh fancy! Lemme know how it works out. Know anyone whos got it yet? Looks like a stocking stuffer to me.

I know two people that have them, and so far they are happy with them. Im just curious as to how long the probes last before needing replaced. Ill probably get one in Fall once the tank is up and runniing and im happy with the way I have it set up.

Hmm. Well, I think I'm going to take it as a compliment, because Calfo is very smart and sought after for his advice and care much of the time. He's the reefers idol, so, I guess it's neat that someone thinks I actually have the potential to be as gifted as he.

Yuppers, I would take it as a compliment also.

Ohhhh yes! I have several to share; everyday I see them on my desk and think "I have to learn to use the scanner" but I keep forgetting. I WILL get it done this weekend though, we have Monday off from school so that gives me extra time.

Geesh, must be rough...I have side jobs to do on Monday Nothing like working 7 days a week!

Think again buddy.

*cough*

[hr width='40%']
All the things that you said
I knew they wouldnt last
All the plans that we made
are part of the past.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Where can I get a summary and sketch of a refugium setup? I am busy with a new 1.2m setup, and the sump is 1m 3 chambers, I was hoping to change it to 4 chambers and include a refugium chamber as well.

Probably the best place to look would be on [link=http://www.reefcentral.com]http://www.reefcentral.com" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link] in their DIY forum or filtration forum

[hr width='40%']
All the things that you said
I knew they wouldnt last
All the plans that we made
are part of the past.
acei
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 291
Votes: 1
male usa
check this out;
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
*bump*

Just one more day of school! That's it...just one more day. *sigh of relief* Then posting may turn somewhat normal...

Not going to mention finals and regents.

*cough*

Any updates Nate?

-Ferret

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Nope, no updates. Im gonna meet up with Marcus today and see how the tank is coming. After the tank is done, there probably wont be updates for quite some time because of lack of equipment.

[hr width='40%']
Look at me, my depth perception must be off again,
Coz' this hurts deeper than I thought it did,
It has not healed with time...
It just shot down my spine.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Well, I just got back from talking to Marcus....ended up discussing tank size again. Its been a constant battle in my mind on whether to go with 24 or 30 inches deep. I finally made up my mind today and plopped down more cash. The tank is going to be 30 inches deep, and instead of 1/2 inch acrylic it will be built out of 3/4 inch acrylic. Why 3/4 inch acrylic? We changed the plans and are going to build the tank with euro-bracing for better light penetration and less cleaning on the top

It will be done by the end of the month! Then it will sit on the stand for another couple months while I get equipment rounded up

[hr width='40%']
Look at me, my depth perception must be off again,
Coz' this hurts deeper than I thought it did,
It has not healed with time...
It just shot down my spine.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Tanks been put on hold as far as setting it up. Its almost finished being built though. The new tank will be put into storage.

Im out of the hobby for now, possibly for good.

Ill be posting a thread in the classifieds with some items for sale including a calcium reactor, pumps, etc.

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
???

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
??? whats the question?

Its simple really...there are other things more important to spent my money on, too many other things going on in my life, and im just not interested in having a tank up and running at the moment.
Darth Vader
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 334
Votes: 35
male australia
wwwoooooooohhhhhhhhhhh did you say 300 gallons thats 1135.5 litres thats massive and awrsome at the same time but i'd hate to be the one cleaning every month or so
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I just dont understand. It's not like you to give up like this. I know you, and you're not a a typical quitter. You've been through a lot, and you work very hard. You love your hobby, and are very involved with it. You've benefitted many people with your endless amount of knowledge and hope. You dream big, and you dont take crap from anyone. It all winds down to your decision, I have neither the ability or right to change your mind...do whatever you want, I wish you the best of luck Nate. I'll end with keep your chin up, but I've come to the realization you'd rather look at the floor. >.<

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I just dont understand. It's not like you to give up like this. I know you, and you're not a a typical quitter. You've been through a lot, and you work very hard.

Im not quiting....Nothing has changed as far as everything that you stated. Sometimes goals and Priorities change, which is what has happened. I realized that this hobby is just that..a hobby. There are things more important to work/live for, and thats what Im going to do. Atleast for awhile, who knows I may set up something later down the road.

You love your hobby, and are very involved with it. You've benefitted many people with your endless amount of knowledge and hope.

That wont change. I will still be involved in the hobby to some degree. I will still be around the forums that I normally visit daily, and I will still post when I need to. Me not having a tank doesnt change anything really. I will continue to research just because of the simple fact that the animals interest me.

You dream big, and you dont take crap from anyone.

I still do dream big.....the dream has just changed. Goals and Priorities...

It all winds down to your decision, I have neither the ability or right to change your mind...do whatever you want, I wish you the best of luck Nate.

Yes it does wind down to my decision.....and Ive already made it. Thanks for wishing me the best of luck.

I'll end with keep your chin up, but I've come to the realization you'd rather look at the floor. >.<

Im not looking at the floor...Im just looking in a totally new direction.
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Funny that you say just a hobby, because even though I barely consider myself actually in this "hobby" I'm beginning to think it's more of a lifestyle than anything...

From past conversations with you, I just find it a little upsetting I guess that you're giving up on the tank for now. I know goals and dreams change, I just didn't think it would ever have to come down to this. I also know that you've told me you haven't ever made it very long without a tank...I just really hope that one day I get to see my stocking list put to use in a tank of yours.

Though I might not like/understand it, I do hope your "totally new direction" works out for you. If this new road comes without another L. spp, without P. smithvanizi, and without mmtb's...I guess that's something I'm going to have to accept...

Last edited by Ferretfish at 22-Jun-2005 13:34

nano reefer
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 570
Votes: 3
male uk
Howz the tank coming along?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
The tank is finished, I just need to pick it up. It wont be set up yet though because Im trying to decide if I want to stay in the hobby or not

Life has taken me down a new path and there are other things more important to put money towards right now
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Bump

Sorry, I had to bump it so it wouldnt get lost....A lot of info here I still need
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa

EDIT:

Okay, I needed to write more than just a smiley face. You know me. I love to talk.

I cant tell you how happy I am to see this thread up and running again. I'm so proud of you for sticking through a really rough time, and staying with this hobby. I actually should rephrase that, and say for sticking with a dream.

This means I have to reveal the rest of my stocking list huh. >.<

Things are going to be hard. You dont need me to tell you that. This is one hell of an expensive dream you've (we've?) embarked on! But I cant wait to watch it come alive. Always remember that there are people here who love to talk to you, and pick apart your brain for advice. When you're feeling discouraged, you should know where to go.

*takes off Dr. Phil hat*

-Liana

Last edited by Ferretfish at 12-Nov-2005 19:50

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Yuppers, finish that stocking list
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
And what's my prize?

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Your prize is a secret

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
nu uh! no way! not fair!

*pouts and whines*

Naaate.

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
your prize can be coming to see it up and running in a couple years.......that and knowing that Im stocking it with your stocking list

I think im gonna set up a place for frags in the basement too Maybe Ill send some frags with you for your tank at college
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
That could be fun. I cant wait to see the pictures!!!

And when you say frags...do you mean frags...or "frags"...?

This is going to be some fun plumbing. I wish I could help. How fun would that be? Captain, Prince, and Princess Ball Valve unite!!!

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
And when you say frags...do you mean frags...or "frags"...?

I mean both

This is going to be some fun plumbing. I wish I could help. How fun would that be? Captain, Prince, and Princess Ball Valve unite!!!

there will be other tanks that you could help with Im already starting to pick up plumbing pieces here and there.....its hard finding 2 inch thin wall PVC though!

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 12-Nov-2005 21:17
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa

mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I wish I had some frags to help you get on your way DRO. Maybe a little sun polyp will happen to pop off and I can get you started up with those again.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
No worries Matt......I have a lot of stuff already bought and on hold with Phishybusiness.com I have close to $1000 worth of sps that I paid for almost 8 months ago that he is holding for me
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
wow, nice! Can't wait to see some pics when you get it up and running.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I want to come to the fragging party when you invade the TOTM tank!

Exactly how many members have frags of yours anyway...

Oh, and you better lemme know which ones you've picked out/up so that I can update the list I have here.

dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
So.... is there an update? Can we see what it looks like? It has been over a year since this post was last commented on......

Christina
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Tank is still empty Christina. Not up and running yet unfortunately.

Just lots of plans.

dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
Well bummer! I was hoping it woudl be a HUGE INSPIRATION for my up and coming tank....

Guess I will have to wait for that inspiration just a little longer

*Sits patiently and waits for DRO to give inspiration for tank*

Christina
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I know Nate's tank is way cooler than mine but you can get inspiration from my tank if you want...

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I have plenty of pics....Unfortunately its still empty with only dust bunnies as the occupants. Im still getting money saved for Pumps, calcium reactor, new bulbs and the OM units (bout $2000-$3000).

I took a little break from tanks awhile back, but Im back in it now

Im hoping to have it up and running by the first of the year!

Yes, Use Liana's tank as inspiration...also use her willingness to take things slow as inspiration also. She has done a great job at researching and not rushing into things as far as stocking! Liana
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Nate

If you take inspiration from my tank, and from Nate's tank to be, you'll have basically full out inspiration from both of us, because we had e/o's thoughts going into the tank plans 101%...does that make sense?

Keep saving Nate. You can do it.

dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
Bummer! I was hoping for Inspiration on DRO's tank! I was plannign on looking at his pictures of his tank and Seeing exactly what I was supposed to do to my tank lol

I know, I know... I'm :%)
Christina
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
If i may ask, what caused the crash in your other tank?

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
If i may ask, what caused the crash in your other tank?

what time? The tank crashed 2 times in a 3 month time frame.

1st time...

I had a external above tank powerhead and the bracket broke. The powerhead fell into to the tank and the breaker or GFCI didnt kick the power off to that outlet. The tank had electricity running thru it for approx. 6-8 hours. I didnt lose a lot of stuff (some sps, and a black and white maxima clam) but EVERYTHING bleached.

2nd time...

about 2-3 months after the electricity incident I bought another house and moved the tank. I had a seperate holding tank set up already for the rock and the corals. There was a freak snow storm on the day that we were moving the tank (at the end of April) and I think everything getting too cold caused a huge ammonia spike...that and I dont think I had enough surface aggitation. Out of that crash I ended up losing EVERY coral that I had, and every fish except for one clownfish
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I still cant believe you didn't tell me about the crash.

dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
Oh Liana, Trust me you tank is inspirational too!

I was kind of trying to give Nate a bit of a boost.... I thought mayb it would give him a bit more incentive to hurry up with the tank lol... J/K

I have only seen a few pictures of your tank so far unfortunately. I would love to see more pictures, but I don't know where to find them. Do you have any other posts on here with good pictures of your tank? I would love it if you wanted to post them on some of my threads, maybe it owudl bring some more people to my threads...

I am definitely going to try to take my time with this Nate. I will ahve to actually because otherwise I won't be able to do it. I don't have enough money right now, I have to save money to get my stuff just like you.

I can't wait until I can see soem pictures of your tank though. I am sure it will be AWESOME! Has Liana given you a full stocking list for it yet? I would love for her to help me with mine when I get my supplies decided on.

Christina
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
female usa us-indiana
Hey DRO, aren't you upposed to be getting some polyps and a bunch of other stuff from some of your friends? I thought I saw somewhere in a post that you were. If so, how is that going? I haven't heard anythign from either of you in a while so I thought I would check back.

Christina

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Nate has a lot of friends/dealers holding corals for him for when he gets his new tank set up.

There's always a couple of us who are waiting on frags from a friend. I've been meaning to pick some up from a friend but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I want to come to the fragging party when you invade the TOTM tank!

Exactly how many members have frags of yours anyway...

Oh, and you better lemme know which ones you've picked out/up so that I can update the list I have here

I dont know how i missed that post

You are more than welcome to come with me when I go to Cris' house and raid his tank As for how many members have frags of mine...Its hard to tell. Ive been trading frags of stuff with club members for 3ish years now...

Ill keep you updated on what ones I pick out/get so you can keep the list updated

I was kind of trying to give Nate a bit of a boost.... I thought mayb it would give him a bit more incentive to hurry up with the tank lol... J/K

I dont need a boost...I need more money. If you care to donate about $2K to my tank fund let me know and Ill send you my address
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
heyy i'd donate it if I could

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Im thinking I need to stand on the street corner and beg for money to get it up and going by the first of the year. Its amazing how time moves so fast when you have a personal goal you want to accomplish!

[hr width='40%']
As family members wept,
And officers consoled one another,
We realized the magnitude of our loss
As we bury yet another Law Enforcement brother.
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Indeed, I cant believe how much money this tank sucks from me. It's rediculous. This tank is the only reason I work!

I've got my new shishie acclimating now btw.

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Just an update...one Sequence Hammerhead bought, 2 more Hammerheads and 2 Oceans motions to go! Tax returns should take care of those and leave a little money left for plumbing and a DIY Kalk reactor
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 10:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yay

*remembers he needs to file tax returns*

Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 17:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies