AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Reef Keeping
  L# Protine Skimmer? And Good Combo For Reef Tank? Need Big Help!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeProtine Skimmer? And Good Combo For Reef Tank? Need Big Help!
Ashneil
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 119
Votes: 17
male canada
i never heard of that before what does it do and how much does it cost? also do u think i would need one for a 30g tank that will soon have 60lbs of live rock, 30 lbs of live sand, 30 blue leg hermit crabs, 15 Astrea Snails, 2 Tiger Tails Cucumbers, 1 Serpent or Brittle Stars, and 1 Peppermint Shrimp Also i might add a clownfish or 2 but i think it might be over stocking.

My Original setup was 2 clownfish and 4 neon gobies but i like this better:60lbs of live rock, 30 lbs of live sand, 30 blue leg hermit crabs, 15 Astrea Snails, 2 Tiger Tails Cucumbers, 1 Serpent or Brittle Stars, and 1 Peppermint Shrimp. can i put both? or will that be overstocking. also if i get the 60lbs of live rock, 30 lbs of live sand, 30 blue leg hermit crabs, 15 Astrea Snails, 2 Tiger Tails Cucumbers, 1 Serpent or Brittle Stars, and 1 Peppermint Shrimp what fish can i add to that?

Help Me Out Here
Ashneil

Last edited by Ashneil at 06-May-2005 19:37
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
OK I know a tiny bit about salties, and I mean a tiny bit...Sissy? Nate? Marc?

anyways yes, I would say you need a protien skimmer on a reef tank...I would think soespecially after I saw [link=this yucky gross mess]http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/forums/Reef%20Keeping/59000.html?200505061856" style="COLOR: #FFFFFF[/link]

I would think that yes that tank is going to be over stocked for a little 30 gallon, but then again I don't know for sure...

Oh also if nobody responds in a couple of hours try out [link=ReefCentral]http://www.reefcentral.com" style="COLOR: #FFFFFF[/link] Nate says it's really good and I'd trust him on knowing if it is or not

heidi michelle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you get there before I do
Don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be
But I'm not gonna let you down
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ashneil
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
is it still over stocked with out the clowns and the neon gobies? and about the 60lbs of live rock, 30 lbs of live sand, 30 blue leg hermit crabs, 15 Astrea Snails, 2 Tiger Tails Cucumbers, 1 Serpent or Brittle Stars, and 1 Peppermint Shrimp i got it from this site http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/package_chart.html
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
houston
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
You want what when?
Kudos: 2462
Votes: 337
female usa
Nate will be back after work, till then here you go since we can't rouse you in chat

DarkRealm Overlord (07/05/05 02:15): the serpent or brittle star will outgrow the tank big time. stick with a lower amount of snails and hermits and ditch the other things except the peppermint if you want it. The fish sound fine for that size tank, but they will fully stock it
DarkRealm Overlord (07/05/05 02:13): you are packing way too much stuff in the tank. 1 tigertail cuke would be too many for a 30. you also dont need that many hermits and snails. you are planning on more hermits and snails than I have in my 180

He will be back after work to add on to what he has said, was working from his cell phone...thanks again nate

hml

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." Thomas Carlyle
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ashneil
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Thanks Michael.
Dark- the site said it is a perfect setup well if you dont think it is how much of each should i put i want at least 1 of those animals. but is the amount of live rock and sand good?
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
You've got the right idea with the live sand and live rock combo. That's a good thing. Make sure you get porous live rock for the most effective filtration possible. Fiji, Tonga, Marshall Island, and the like tend to be great biological filters. At least a pound per gallon is recommended for effective filtration, so you'll be fine with 2lbs/gallon, if you can fit it. As for the live sand, you dont really need a set amount IMO. I'd just go with maybe 3" of regular aragonite based (white sand, from the Caribbean) sand, and then sorta "top it off" with the live stuff. Eventually your whole bed will be live anyway, so have some patience, save some money, and consider doing at least a 50/50 split.

As for the stocking, I have one thing to say. HOLY INVERTS BATMAN! When websites advertise cleaner packages they almost always overdue it. I've got a 100 gallon reef system in the making, and I probably wont even have that many crabs/hermies/etc. Go with maybe 1/3 of the amounts you picked, and then add the pair of clownfish. That will fully stock your tank.

Stay away from both brittle and serpent stars, as mentioned by DRO they just get huge. I think they get sorta nasty too the bigger they get. Most fish stores dont get in juvies either; and even if they did they'd outgrow your tank in a flash. If you're hooked on echinoderms, go with one that stays a little smaller.

Protein skimmers...well well. IMO, absolutely a necessity for FOWLR and reef tanks. If you've got live rock, you should have a skimmer. In a nutshell, they basically use a bubble system to remove contaminants from your aquarium water. You know how when you go to the beach, you see foam crashing against the shores sometimes? A protein skimmer is the way of achieving this act in our fish tanks at home.

Most of the time, when you purchased live rock, it's never FULLY cured. IMO, it's impossible to cure live rock in your own display tank w/o a good skimmer. I'm a firm believer in aggressive protein skimming, thanks to Anthony Calfo. When choosing a skimmer, always go with one that's a little overrated for your tank. Better to overskim than underskim. Dont choose the priciest one and assume it's the best...and go by quality and efficiency, not brand name. You're probably going to have to order one online, as most fish stores dont carry great brands. [link=Marine Depot]http://www.marinedepot.com" style="COLOR: #3c4e82[/link] has a great selection. You want a skimmer that's going to be easy to set up and maintain, while doing a good filtering job all along. My preferred brand is AquaC EV, but that's just preferance.

Hope this helped a bit, if you have anymore questions please post.

Oh, and for the record, I'm "sissy."

-Ferret

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
that your kiss might kill me.
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Ashneil
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
60lbs of live rock, 3 inches of live sand, 10 blue leg hermit crabs, 5 Astrea Snails,and 1 Peppermint Shrimp and 2 clowns?<--- this is a good setup right? also what corals is easy to keep that i can put with them?
Ashneil
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
what wat blub should i get for my 30 g and how much is some Blastomussa aprox in canada?

Thanks Ashneil
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies