Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStarting a small reef tank
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 1
male usa
I have a small 30 gallon tank that has been setup for over a year and a half now i have only 2 fresh watter fish living in it and a filter running. i would like to start a small reef tank. i Have a read sea protine skimmer what kind of sand should i get and iv heard of a new inexpencive compack lite to give ur tank more. and whats sould i get for rocks and etc.

In the age of darkness the blind man is the best guide. In the age of insanity look towards the mad man to show you the way
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 02:04Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
For sand, I'd recommend an inch or so of any of the aragonite sands. This will help buffer the water. The rock I'd look for would be the whatever is very porous, this will allow good biological filtration. It will be necessary to provide good flow, so I'd recommend a couple of powerheads. Maxijet 600s are pretty good. The dual 96w powercompact like the coralife unit might be what you are talking about. It will be plenty of light for most softy and lps corals. I'd also recommend getting an RO unit. It will help control nuisance algae if your tap water is not very good. It's best to start out with an RO unit rather than get one after you've started.

Most importantly I'd do as much research before you decide on anything. You may decide you'd rather do something different, or use different equipment. What I've laid out is just one of the many options. Good luck.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 03:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
what is a good ro unit

In the age of darkness the blind man is the best guide. In the age of insanity look towards the mad man to show you the way
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 04:37Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I got mine on ebay from aquasafe systems. Just do a search for RO unit and it will turn up.

Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 05:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Norrec
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
What kind of protine skimmer should i get

Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 20:44Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I like AquaC EV. But it's all about preference.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2007 23:29Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The aqua c ev are for use in sump. The aqua C remora is a good hang on back skimmer. The coralife super skimmers are also pretty good.

Post InfoPosted 02-May-2007 16:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Melosu58
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 86
Votes: 0
male usa
I use an excalibur brand skimmer. I think it works great IMO. As far as the sand dont waste your time on the supposedly live sand that comes in bags. Just get the dry sand that Matt was talking about and seed it with some LS from your LFS tank. The LR you can get should be pourus and have lots of surface area to house the nitrifying bacteria needed.
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2007 02:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies