Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 1211
Votes: 196
male mexico
EditedEdited by Falstaf
Hi!

I have a client that wants a 214 gallon tank for his restaurant (300cm long x 60cm tall x 45cm width) here is a mock up image that the architect did of the tank

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Falstaf/Retocadas_Fisher_ultima_3.jpg

I know the bottles are cheesey, but since the two brands are sponsoring the tank they have to go.

They want it to be a reef set up, and i need help! lol

This is what i need some help on:

Stocking the tank, i know it will take some time but i need to know what fish and corals would be a good idea. (they suggested a lobsters and crabs, since it's a sea food restaurant, i don't know if this is possible i think not).

Any suggestions on technical needs like filtering water movement, conditioning etc.(it will have a 40 gallon sump).

Lighting (we where planing to install 9 900mm AZOO CORAL BLUE LIGHT 30W each) is this proper or enough?

How much sand or live sand i need is it the same as fresh water that i need 4 inches depth of sand?

Can seahorses be kept on reefs? they also suggested them but i'm not sure, for what i know they can't.

I think that's all i can think of now, but all suggestions are always welcome
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2008 02:39Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
First off....Hi Falstaf how've you been?

On to your tank setup...That lighting will have to go. It's totally inappropriate for any photosynthetic coral. I'd pick something like this and put three bulbs on each side of the tank. That would be plenty of light for low and medium light corals.

You'll need a nice skimmer to put in your sump, something like this.

I'd also have at least 3000 gph or so in flow, preferably more like 5000gph, though only a third or so of that through the sump. You can use large pumps like sequence pumps on close loops(google for more info), or plug in some tunze streams, or koralia powerheads.

Once you finally decide on your equipment, I'll gladly help with stocking. But so you know, most lobsters and crabs don't work great in reef tanks, and seahorses don't really do well unless they are in their own dedicated systems, reef or otherwise.

Depth of sand is optional, but I'd recommend you choose between none, 1/2 inch, or deep like 4+ inches.

Also make absolutely sure the water going into a reef tank starts pure, using RO/DI. Then mix whatever salt you use for 24 hrs before it enters the tank. Evaporation topoff should be pure RO/DI. This is more important than most people realize, depending on your source water of course. I'd never risk it though, for $200 or less you can find a great system on ebay from water general or aquasafe systems.

The bottles may look cheesy, and they will also be covered very quickly with algae, and maybe eventually corals.

One other thing. You will need to get a good bit of live rock. Probably 300 lbs or so would be good.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2008 04:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
EditedEdited by Falstaf
Hi Matty! i've been great thanks, how about you?

Thanks for the reply, i don't think we have the brand of light fixtures you mention here in Mexico, do you know any other brand that will also work, we get all Hagen, Sera, Corallife, Azoo, Marina, Lee's, Boyu, Penn Plax.

Same thing with the Skimmer, but those are much easier to find a replacement i think.

As for water movement i think i'll have to go with the power heads, those are easy to find and replace.

Do you think that a Fluval 405 would be good for filtration in the sump and maybe i can use the outtake for water movement straight to the tank? or should i go for this one that was the original idea
http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/addinfo/fluval_6.html

Also, could you help me with a mock up list of stoking options?

Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2008 19:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
I've been great too! I'm nearly graduated

I wouldn't use a canister filter on a reef tank personally. If you really want mechanical filtration they have [link=these filter socks]http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~filter_media_sock.html[link] that will catch debris coming from the overflow. The chemical filtration could be accomplished with mesh bags in the sump as well.

Well, not my top choice, but coralife makes ok hqi fixtures, like these. Nothing will fit exact dimensions, but you could use two of the four foot fixtures. That would be plenty of light for low and medium light demanding corals.

I think this would be a nice stocking list:
1 pair of occelaris clowns
1 yellow watchman goby
1 orchid dottyback
1 flasher wrasse
3 yellowhead jawfish(only if you have more than 3 inches of sand)
1m/3f squamipinnis anthias
1 powder blue tang

That would be an ok order of stocking too IMO.

You can look through here and if you see something you'd rather have in there you can ask here, and we'll figure it out.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2008 01:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
EditedEdited by Falstaf
Hey Matty Congratulations!!! already close to finishing huh? time goes by so fast!

I now own a pet store, total carrier change and enjoying it so far.

Thanks again for the help, i can get the filter socks no problem. I like the syock list that you suggested i was also considering this:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=85

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=242
these last ones i've read in some sites they are not reef compatible and in others that they are, so i don't know.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=194

And as for inverts some anemones and snails does that sounds right?

Maybe instead of the lobster they wanted some shrimp? a sea star?

LOL now i want everything, and we haven't talked corals yet!

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2008 05:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thaanks! Its only taken me 6 years lol!

Great news with the fish store. How's business so far?

The cardinal fish and neon gobies will do fine, but the bannerfish is NOT reef safe.

You could probably do some anems with the lighting I listed. I'd go with long tentacle, sebae, or rose bubble tips. Stay away from the atlantic anemones.

Most lobsters are very destructive in a reef setting, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd recommend peppermint shrimp. They are nicely colored, red and they eat aptasia. Either those or cleaner shrimp would work well.

There are a few stars that will do well. All the serpent stars do well. The linkia stars often do well in larger tanks too, they are very colorfu too. There aren't too many others that survive well and are reef safe that I know of.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2008 14:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Hi matty! well good thing is that you are almost done now, that's what really counts!

Bussiness is going good, it's a bit complicated but fun! and i get to do what i really enjoy so i can't complain

Thanks for all the help i think it's almost a done deal as soon as we get news from our client i'll let you know and pester you some more with questions
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2008 00:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Looking forward to it, good luck

Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2008 04:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Hi Matty!

Now i have some questions about maintenance:

How often do i have to make WC and how many gallons/liters, is it the same as fresh water 25%?

With every WC do i have to change filtering media? (carbon, Matrix, etc)

thnx again!

Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 21:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yep, weekly or every other week 25% WC are great. You want to make sure everything is the same, salinity, temp, pH, hardness.

Carbon I would run for one week per month. Mechanican filters need changed/cleaned weekly. phosguard type media can be used for a month or whatever the product says.

Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 03:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies