Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribepreparing for reef tank
oooodkoooo
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 35
Votes: 6
male usa
I'm taking a marine biology class where im in charge of a 175 (we think) gallon tank. Through a grant we are able to set it up as a reef tank ($12,000 for 2 of em). and needless to say im more or less completely ingorant on the wold of reef keeping. As of now im preparing the tank to add a couple of hardy corals(suggestions on what type?).
It now has a bit of live rock (enough to make a wall 4 feet wide 2 feet tall and about 10 in deep) and some animals that come with it, some bristle worms and snails (not sure what kind).
And now id like to ask for some help. Assuming I know nothing about water treatment id like to know what chemicals need for a reef tank and what i need to aviod. Any advice on how to pervent the undesirable chemicals for showing up.

Very Gratefull for any help,
Drew

Non-conformity:
Are you the Sheep or the Guitar Playing Sheep?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Drew,

What an awesome opportunity. I think there are several things you need to learn about to make things run somewhat smoothly.

Realize that unfortunately much of reefkeeping is trial and error. This is not something you can pick up a book about and be an expert overnight. It takes years of learning, every day is something new.

Sounds like you've got a pretty nice sized tank, if I had to guess I'd say it's a 180 because that's a standard size, whereas I dont think a 175 is. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. If you have exact measurements you can plug them into the calculator here, and find out.

Money in a reef tank is spent quickly. Be warned ahead of time. Before we can really help out with stocking, it'd be helpful to know what kind of lights you're running, since that plays a factor in what types of corals you can keep. Another big factor will be water movement; in a tank that big adequate circulation is a MUST have. Are you running powerheads or any wave makers/surge devices, things like that?

Will this tank be reef with fish? Or just reef? What types of corals are you interested in?

I highly suggest reading this article posted in General Marine, it's a basic newbie article that will sum up a lot of important aspects of reefkeeping. It touches on all the things you mentioned, like water quality and whatnot.

You can find the article here: [link=Click!]http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/forums/General%20Marine/58926.html?200505011641" style="COLOR: #3c4e82[/link]

Sorry to kill you with all the questions, but really more information is necessary to further help you out. Please post back!

Happy Reefing. :88)

-Ferret

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
that your kiss might kill me.
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies